Wind readings make sense?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Wind readings make sense?

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:29 pm

Check out today's current wind graph for ocean beach, average about 10, and gust close to 50. Broken meter?

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.i ... siteID=325

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:37 pm

I would say so - pretty unusual conditions!

Rogue Wave
Joey
Joey

Post by Rogue Wave » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:37 am

Speaking of Ikitesurf, Phil the inventor of the whole system just updated our sensor here in Ontario Canada personally.

His dedication and drive is unparalleled!

He and his helper worked until midnight setting up the new anemometer which now has temperature, and barometric pressure sensors.

Kudos to Phil and the entire Iwindsurf/Ikitesurf team!

sflinux
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

ocean beach wind sensor

Post by sflinux » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:51 pm

I must say that Ocean Beach gets very gusty. The Ocean Beach Sensor should be renamed to Fort Funston sensor. I have been using/following this sensor for several years and it is not reliable. If you use the Fort Funston sensor together with readings from the sf buoy sensor, you can get a clue as to what the readings actually are on the beach. But I have seen days when the sensor says it is nuking at Fort Funston, and near the Cliff House at Ocean Beach it is super calm. The sensor is like 5 miles away from where people actually ride at Ocean Beach. Somebody please tell Phil@ikitesurf that we really need a new sensor for Ocean Beach located at/near the Cliff House. I've even thought of putting one up on the roof of my building, which is located 3 blocks from the ocean beach. At one time I was so frustrated with the unreliability of the Fort Funston sensor, I had a webcam pointed at the trees outside my apt, to give me a very crude wind meter for ocean beach, so I at least could tell if the wind was really blowing (would also show me if ob was fogged in).
-bric

Rogue Wave
Joey
Joey

Post by Rogue Wave » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:31 pm

Have you talked to him about it?

If you have a web-cam already, he might be able to set you up.

Just a thought.

sflinux
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sflinux » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:07 pm

No I haven't talked to ikitesurf about a webcam or new sensor. There is a good windcam of ocean beach but only gets updated once a week (located at the cliff house). Would be awesome if we got this one up at ikitesurf. Would also be awesome to have a sensor located at the cliff house too.
Until we have something new for ocean beach, if looking at the fort funston sensor, from my experience ocean beach is only kitesurfable when this sensor is gusting at/over 20 mph. Anything under that is too light for going out in the water relative to this sensor.
-bric

Scotty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

OB Sensor

Post by Scotty » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:31 am

I have e-mailed Dave C who is the one sponsoring the Ocean Beach sensor which sits up on the bluff of Fort Funston. His claim is that the service they used, Earhtlink, was terrible and responsible for the lousy readings. After switching services, about a month ago, he noticed the large gust values and random shutting off. He realizes there is a problem and is trying to fix it. Supposedly the sensor resets every night to avoid these erratic values. Doesn't seem to work though.
An ideal place for an Ocean Beach sensor would be on top of Wise Surfboards or contact Surfpulse and see if they can place a wind sensor next to one of their two cameras. I kite out at OB as much as I can because I live 10 minutes away and can understand frustrations. The key is to check out the SF Buoy because it gives an indication of the wind at sea level. Use this with the OB sensor and you can get a rough idea of what to expect.
If you guys want Dave's e-mail I can post it for you guys.