Painting your Board. Look at the bling bling.

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Painting your Board. Look at the bling bling.

Post by bdawg » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:51 pm

Ok, my board was pretty tired as far as appearance. It was easy to find construction marking paint orange. Well I saw this paint in the new snowboarder magazine. Only $18 bucks at autozone and walmart. One kit did my whole board which is a 143.

here is link to view pics of before and after.
http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/the ... ing&.view=

Here is a painting tip. When i painted the bottom I did a 2 stage paint job. I used high gloss white and then a "protective" clear coat on top of that. Well the white didn't like the clear or vise versa. The clear is "soft", by that I mean if you lightly push your fingernail into it it leaves an impression. Sooooo, I might be painting the bottom again if sand gets imbedded into bottom of board.

I just thought I would share this painting suggestion to people who are looking for a project or who want a new look to their board. I used the ice color. which doesn't translate well from the website to real life. (or package was mislabeled.

Hope I could help,
Blair

charlie
Old School
Old School

!!!!

Post by charlie » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:54 pm

thats it.!
nice

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:56 pm

Dude, that is sick!! Your board is crazy blingin' now. Kite with gold chains and rings, cornrows, and a basketball team jersey and you'd be on! That's dope, but might I add that you could intensify your statement by adding gold-colored fins. Or platinum maybe.

Nice paint though, really. That's cool, well done! I'll add those pics to the archives for sure.

Ollie

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:42 pm

Bdawg, I forgot to ask...What kind of prep work was involved? Does it seem that the top coat will be durable?

Also, are you getting a least a couple days a week on the water?

TheRob

custom paint

Post by TheRob » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:34 am

nice job on the board. in case anybody is interested, i do all the custom paint work for Sheldon Kiteboards and i could seriosly pimp out
anybody's kiteboard. i use top of the line automotive 2 stage paint for a high gloss durable finish. if anybody is interested drop me an e-mail and i will send you some pics. TheRob9106@aol.com
later,
rob kindt

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:37 am

ollie,
That is an exellent suggestion. I just might go to pick-n-pull and grab myself a cadillac emblem, give it the gold spray paint treatment and stick that thing on there. And hopefully I won't down the kite because swimming with 40 pounds of gold around your neck is very dangerous.

As far as prep work went I did a mild amount. I stripped the board of fins and bindings. Then I sanded the board down with 150 then 180 grit sand paper. I got most of the gross paint off with the sanding. I then cleaned the board with alcohol to hopefully aid adhesion.

The durablility of the Mirage paint seems ok. The last step of using that kit is a clearcoat that protects and lays down smooth. If I was to do it again I probably would have bought the $5 can of adhesion promoter.

And to answer your question about getting out there. I admit that I am not out there enough. I do about one day a week. I really want to "nose to the grindstone" so I can get up that learning curve.

Blair