[Santa Clara] Pond A4

Information about San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding locations and guidelines.
RPskater
Contributor
Contributor
[Santa Clara] Pond A4

Post by RPskater » Tue May 03, 2011 10:29 am

One of the few ponds that is NOT a wild life reserve or a water treatment pond. Pond A4 is named after the Alviso section of ponds which range from Shoreline to Milpitas. Water is 3-4' deep and does not have a tide change. This location does require a lengthy walk of 20 minute(or a 5 minute bike ride). Can be ridden in any wind direction but the usual summer pattern is what most like will be used. Palo Alto should be at 20 mph to have enough wind at this location. Moffett sensor should be in the teens, but is unreliable. Best launch is on the north side (the far side) of the pond where the trail runs perpendicular to the wind direction and there are no weeds or plants at the water's edge. Not sure of the legality of this spot. Inquires have not been returned and no one has made it an issue of it yet, so stay low and enjoy the place while you can. Ideal for flat water and butter lovers. Park at the Bay Trail parking at the water treatment plant off of Borregas Ave off of Caribbean Drive. Bathroom available.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 8&t=h&z=15[/googlemap]
Attachments
ron and amil blue.JPG
ron and amil blue.JPG (767.97KiB)Viewed 17665 times

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Re: Pond A4 [Santa Clara]

Post by kitenaked » Tue May 03, 2011 1:04 pm

And your skin hasn't fallen off?

Any if those south bay ponds, I would worry about water quality.
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Tue May 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Keep up the good work finding the butter ron. If your skin falls off let us know :)

How's the bottom, muddy and nasty like shoreline or TB? or hard pack clay?

RPskater
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RPskater » Tue May 03, 2011 10:01 pm

I am not saying water is clean, but it does not smell like other ponds. The bottom is hard pack clay for the most part around the parimeter. The center is has a harder sharper layer on top making it a little harder to walk on. It is not mushy like TB which has a silt build up. I walked across from the center of the pond to the launch when my safety depower leash broke today (never tempararily used cheap rope from home depot to tie you over while planning to buy the good stuff later and forget to buy the good stuff). After chasing the kite, I walked 30 minutes in the water till I got out. I did get 45 minutes riding alone in butter at least. Amil had it for 2 hours alone yesterday. We are going to bring a water bottle and fill it up and have the water tested pretty soon.

wakehappy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wakehappy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:38 am

Anyone have more info or updates on this spot? ...grow any extra fingers or toes after riding here? I just moved to the south bay from SF and saw kites while driving by the other day. If this spot is any good it would sure beat sitting on the 101 in rush hour traffic for an hour to get to 3rd.

rolla_rage
Joey
Joey

Post by rolla_rage » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:48 am

Hello, does anyone know if this place is still kite-friendly? Any tips/advice?

Based on RPskater's post I surmised the following for parking and launch spot; look right?
image.jpg
image.jpg (145.37KiB)Viewed 14404 times
Thanks in advance,
J

Kiteboardertony
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kiteboardertony » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:44 am

The Pond can be epic, best launch is not on north side but on south bank behind the S.m.a.r.t building....youll see the rigging area has green carpet and self launch post....