Windwing Demo's Available in Bay Area

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:03 pm

Ollie,
After two sundays in a row of light wind at SI (and plenty of other days this spring) I'm thinking about adding a 16 or 17 to my quiver. I have a Rage II 14M now. Today it was just enough to stay upwind for most of the afternoon, fighting the whole time. Dewey looked like he was having fun on his 17 (Outrage).

Do you: 1) Bring any or alll of the 17/18 demos with you when you come out to Sherman, and 2) come out to Sherman on days when you might need a kite that large.

I've only seen you at the beach on 10 and 12 days. I've demoed a Boxer 16, and I'd like to try the Rage 17 to see how it compares. I kite SI regularly on Sundays and some mid-week afternoons.

Thanks,

Paul

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:24 am

Paul,

At the moment the biggest kite I've got is a 15m Rapture. Big kites can get you going on light days, but I sure have a lot more fun on sizes 14m and down. In the next few weeks, I'll have more opportunity to go to SI, but I only go if it's on, like blowing 18 and up. 20-25 is even better!

I'll have Rage II's, Raptures and Outrages in sizes 15 and down, though.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:50 am

Ollie you shouls check out the 17m Outrage. That's a fun kite when it's blowing 14+
Dewey

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:58 am

How many times have you used that kite this spring, Dewey? Seems like you're putting some mileage on it. When you bought that kite, you probably thought you'd just be using it at Alameda.

Seems like there've been an awful lot of days this spring when the people having the best time at SI are on 16s,17s, and 18s. I've had several good days on my 10 when the wind was nukin', but almost every time I've been out lately on the 14, it hasn't been quite enough.

We only have a month or so left for this summer to turn "normal" (Valley heating up and dragging in thermals from the coast).

feixaq
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by feixaq » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:16 pm

Pablito,

If you do end up wanting to buy a Rage or Outrage 17 and would like to pair up on the purchase to get the Buy-1-Get-Half-Off deal, please send me a PM (I'm looking to buy the Rap 9).

Thanks,
Chris

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:04 am

Will do.

Of course, every 10 meter day like yesterday makes me less interested in getting a big kite.

Also, I heard some not-so-great feedback on the Rage 17, and I think the Outrage is Out-of-my-league for another year or so.

Paul

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:30 pm

Pablito(guest) wrote:How many times have you used that kite this spring, Dewey? Seems like you're putting some mileage on it. When you bought that kite, you probably thought you'd just be using it at Alameda.

Seems like there've been an awful lot of days this spring when the people having the best time at SI are on 16s,17s, and 18s. I've had several good days on my 10 when the wind was nukin', but almost every time I've been out lately on the 14, it hasn't been quite enough.

We only have a month or so left for this summer to turn "normal" (Valley heating up and dragging in thermals from the coast).

I've been at Sherman the last two sundays you speak of that were apparently light. I don't own a bigger kite than 13m...I've had no problems. If you want to try any of these, just ask me next time you see me at Sherman. Bigger ain't allways better.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:17 pm

KillaHz wrote:
Pablito(guest) wrote:How many times have you used that kite this spring, Dewey? Seems like you're putting some mileage on it. When you bought that kite, you probably thought you'd just be using it at Alameda.

I've been at Sherman the last two sundays you speak of that were apparently light. I don't own a bigger kite than 13m...I've had no problems. If you want to try any of these, just ask me next time you see me at Sherman. Bigger ain't allways better.
I would agree, this year to date the biggest kite I have regularly flown is a 14, and a 15 only 2 or 3 times, but preferred the 14 still. I also recall being at SI late last year on a 13 and having fun, jumping, etc. when many on 16's couldn't even stay upwind. It's easy to grab a big kite, but not always necessary...

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:15 pm

When the mid day fade kicks in I pump up the 17m and wait for the windmills to kick in. I'll be one of the first guys out while the water's flat. I can hold the 17m down and have fun for awhile. Kiting at sherman with only a few guys on a Sat, or Sun. Is the best. WInd can come up pretty fast some times. I still love the 17m. Ollie are you going to bring some kites to the beach this weekend?? I want to try the 9m rapture.
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:59 pm

Yes, I'll be there Sat. and Sun. and will have all the kites. See you there...

Ollie