Ripped Off!

Reunite gear with owners here.
joebuzz
Joey
Joey
Ripped Off!

Post by joebuzz » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:42 pm

Hey All. I was robbed out at Ocean Beach today while landboarding. I was riding with my smaller kite and left my HQ Apex 7.5m in it's back pack propped against a log in full view of all beach users around stairway 25 near Lincoln Blvd. The added bummer is I had my GoPro HD Camera in that pack as well. I rode by it a few times and just assumed it would be safe, then on another lap (maybe 10 mins), it was gone!
Yea, I know it was my fault for leaving it but if anyone out there in the community sees anything similar for sale or hears of anything a call would be appreciated. Joe (530)448-6117.
Anyone out there ever had a problem like this at O.B? I felt pretty good about trusting people at the beach, was I wrong? :(

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: Ripped Off!

Post by OliverG » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:38 am

Sorry to hear about your bag. Unfortunately, cars get broken into and items are stolen constantly at OB. The last time I kited there, one of the locals told me another kiters truck window was broken and some things stolen, and it was parked only 3 or 4 spaces from where the steps are and some people were hanging out. For OB, the best advice is to not leave anything of value on the beach, keep your vehicle key on you, don't hide it, someone will see you doing so, and try to go to OB with nothing much valuable in your vehicle other than your gear you're going out on.

tomerp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by tomerp » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:55 am

Sorry about what happened to you. It makes me think about calling my various insurance companies to check about coverage for stolen items like that. I think either homeowners insurance or car insurance companies cover items stolen from cars.

These kites/boards are darn expensive and there is no way BUT to store extras in the car!

joebuzz wrote:Hey All. I was robbed out at Ocean Beach today while landboarding. I was riding with my smaller kite and left my HQ Apex 7.5m in it's back pack propped against a log in full view of all beach users around stairway 25 near Lincoln Blvd. The added bummer is I had my GoPro HD Camera in that pack as well. I rode by it a few times and just assumed it would be safe, then on another lap (maybe 10 mins), it was gone!
Yea, I know it was my fault for leaving it but if anyone out there in the community sees anything similar for sale or hears of anything a call would be appreciated. Joe (530)448-6117.
Anyone out there ever had a problem like this at O.B? I felt pretty good about trusting people at the beach, was I wrong? :(

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:50 am

yup. that's why I have renters insurance...it's only $144 per year with a $100 deductible and a $5000 per claim limit. nice peace of mind in case the stuff in my car gets jacked.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

super_monkey
Regular
Regular

Post by super_monkey » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:53 pm

Maybe it's because I've been to a lot of places or maybe it's because I'm Polish but I would never ever leave things unattended on a public beach. I would also never ever leave anything in plain site in my car. It's like an invitation for someone to steal it.

As Ollie already mentioned, OB is notorious for this. Cars get broken into, thieves watch you as you leave your car and hide your key and then take everything you have including your car.

apextech
Joey
Joey

Post by apextech » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:32 pm

Sorry for your loss, the weird thing is that someone made off with my Apex 7.5m bag a couple of months back off Moss Landing State Beach, luckily it was empty, still a pain to deal with. I feel your pain as I was beyond pissed.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:38 pm

Pink Mist :drinkers:

L.M.G. O:)

joebuzz
Joey
Joey

Post by joebuzz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:34 am

Thanks all! I'm fairly new to the kiting scene and just learned a big lesson, albeit an expensive one! Still, if anyone comes across any low-lifes with a kite for sale, a heads up would be appreciated.
As I said, I'm new to kiting but come from many years of climbing and mountaineering at a pretty high level. Gear would get stolen in our circle too but, many many times the climbing community stepped up with info from ebay, craigs, etc. Thank You All again for your help.