Lessons from Leading Edge or Kite'opia?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Schooled at SI
Lessons from Leading Edge or Kite'opia?

Post by Schooled at SI » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:01 pm

My brother is teetering on the edge of takling some lessons. I want to make sure he gets quality instruction.

Just curious if any of you have had lesson experiences with Sandy or Nat.

Kite'opia vs. Leading Edge? I think they are both 1rst class outfits, but was curious on the differences between the 2.

Looking for constructive comments if possible.

Thanks in advance!

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:14 pm

They are both good. Who can do a lesson when you need it?? That's the one I'd go with. Toss a coin
Dewey

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:28 pm

KWS (www.kitewindsurf.com) has jet ski based lessons in the Bay Area.... We go to the wind, wherever it might be that day...

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:32 pm

I have to put a good word in for Bruce Sheldon, Sheldon Sails in Rio Vista. He taught all the other teachers at Sherman to ride, and he's still giving lessons. He teaches out of Little Baja and doesn't use a jetski, which has it's pluses and minuses. It's certainly more affordable.

Definitely worth adding to the list of possibilities.

consumer
Regular
Regular

Post by consumer » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:20 pm

ill just say that a jetski or a boat in helping someone learn is infinitely advantageous, obviously.

whether they pass that cost onto the consumer is controversial.

jstjohn3
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sherman Island Lessons from the OG.

Post by jstjohn3 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:49 pm

Go to "Lessons" then check out the "Starter Package".

[web]http://sheldonkiteboarding.com/index.html[/web]

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:51 pm

I had lessons with Nat May '04. I really couldn't be happier. OK i'm lying if it was free i would be happier. OK here is the deal. Consumer is so right on. It is so nice to have that boat right there behind you in case something goes wrong. Or if you are having a hard time righting the kite. You learn (or at least i did) with out a leash so there is no potential head injury factor. you crash off the board if it is close you body drag to it. if you got yanked for a hell of a ride Nat swung the boat around and drops the board off just down wind of you. He now uses a radio attached to the helmet so he is in constant communication with you. A feature i would have benefitted from. The other thing is that there is more often then not wind at the delta. It isn't a crap shoot like at alameda. Nat stresses SAFETY. He has told me that won't move someone on (i.e. from body drag to board) unless they understand and execute the safe actions that is required to be a kiter. As you might think i am biased because i took my lessons with nat (Edge kiteboarding) Call him at 775-721-1132 Tell him Blair sent you. I really think you can't go wrong. If you have any other questions send me a PM and i will respond.

Blair

marin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marin » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:10 pm

I took lessons from Sandy last year and she was great. A good instructor combined with the consitent winds of the delta mixed with jet ski or boat support is a great combo. From what I have heard Nat is also great.
-rick

Schooled at SI

Post by Schooled at SI » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:20 am

Thanks Blair and Rick.

Those are the specific comments I was looking for.

Rick, does Sandy use radios too to communicate with the learner?
If not, could you hear her instructions clearly?

Could you guys elaborate on how the lessons were formatted?
eg.
"Classroom time", trainer time, body drag, board, etc...

octopusy

kite school

Post by octopusy » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:28 am

Edge and Kitopia use brand new 2005 gear. Sheldon does not and no way to get you away from the rocks, you pay for what you get.