Alameda Site Improvement

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Rebecca
Alameda Site Improvement

Post by Rebecca » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:27 pm

Hi All,

Alameda launch update...

I spoke with the Park. The bush in the parking lot will be removed within a few weeks. That will give us more room to stack kites upwind. The park does not want to replant the bush by the bench because of safety issues along the path (think easy hinding place for muggers).

However, they will consider potentially moving the bench during the season.

They have offered to make more types of signs. Perhaps we should get one that we put out by the launch area that reminds kiters to body drag out 200 yards before attempting to body drag or get on the board...then have a bouy (sp?) out in the water to designate the spot (as someone else has suggested)?

Other ideas? Help?

-Rebecca - Boardsports Shack :)

feixaq
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by feixaq » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:06 pm

maybe have 2 buoys so you can draw an imaginary line between the buoys that is parallel to the coastline?

Rebecca

Post by Rebecca » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:12 pm

Good thinking. Thanks.

More ideas folks???

See my last posting under the "beach stewards" heading. I have lots of areas I could use help with and other or get better ideas.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help/ideas,
-Rebecca - Boardsports Shack

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:37 am

body drag out 200 yards
200 yards? Isn't that little excessive? How about two line lengths, more like 60 yards.

The problem that I have seen is on the weekends when the place is packed with kites and people. During weekdays the beach is mostly empty, and the number of kites is reasonable. In those days you can cruise out straight from the beach and its not really a problem if you know how to do that.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:10 am

200 Yards? That's two football fields, which is kind of far. A distance out to the first flag pole is sufficient, no?

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:46 am

type o boys
iam sure becky boo is talking about 200 feet
but iam with ollie the frist flag would help
charlie

Rebecca

Post by Rebecca » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:45 pm

No, I really meant 200 yards :twisted:

Just kidding. Typo. Sorry. I agree with the second flag pole idea.

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:06 pm

How about a compressor ! Had it on a beach a few weeks ago and it was great. I am sure that we can put money together to make it happen if you allow it in your booth. Just add a watch which limits to work during the day only. And probably and outlet through the wall.

Buoys are a really good idea.

But mostly we need more brain! Can you get more of that please .... signs are going in this direction.

K

Rebecca

Post by Rebecca » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:23 pm

Hmm. We'll we tried the compressor. The problem is that they make too much noise and I have to run a business out of the shack. We did try a large compressor that LMG brought over. It was quieter, but it had the potential to compress oil and water into the kite... you've got to be careful about your compressors...besides, don't you want a little exercise??

In terms of brains, please order some. I'll keep them on ice in the shack and will hand them out for free to anyone who will take them...or force them on those not bright enough to know they need them.

I'll keep working on the signs.

I had someone approach me today saying that they would be willing to volunteer for 4 saturdays a season to do "kite patrol." Anyone else interested in volunteering time?

-Rebecca -Boardsports Shack

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:42 pm

Something else that fits into Alameda Site Improvement --

I'm making an effort to pick up trash I come across in the launch area. If everyone picked up a few pieces of trash per session, it would help improve the site! Worse spot seems to be the can near the bush -- when it gets full the overflow ends up in and around the bush (or scattering down the beach.)