Packing for a ventana kiting trip

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
AD72
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Packing for a ventana kiting trip

Post by AD72 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:08 pm

Where did you get the "Pro Golf" bag and what size of a board fit in it? I am flying out next weekend.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:03 am

"Golf" bags are available from most kite equipment suppliers and retailers. I have the Mystic 155CM model, but there are lots to choose from. Some have "Golf" or "Pro Golf" emblazoned on the sides, some are just blank. Can't hurt to toss in a 9 Iron for any inquisitive airline counter staff, right?

Boardsports:
http://boardsportsschool.com/buy-gear/s ... ng/travel/

Live2Kite:
http://www.live2kite.com/travel-gear-c- ... 13f404c47d

I highly recommend a bag with wheels! Have a great trip.

Kirk out

metabon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by metabon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:01 pm

I just got my golf bag and am looking forward to head to La Ventana next week!

Since I haven't been to La Ventana (or Mexico) before, I'm not sure what to expect. Sounds like quite a few of you have been traveling there very recently, I hope you can help me with some basic questions:

Money: Where's the best place for exchanging money? How do prices compare to SF? What should I expect to spend on food, drinks etc? Is there still only one, frequently broken ATM around?

Immigration: will it take a long time to get the Tourist Card at Los Cabos airport?

Are there any good places to hang out in the evenings?

Anything else I should expect / keep in mind / bring / leave at home?

Cheers,
Carsten

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:53 pm

I've only flown in/out of La Paz, but I'll try to help with some of your questions...
Money: Where's the best place for exchanging money? How do prices compare to SF? What should I expect to spend on food, drinks etc? Is there still only one, frequently broken ATM around?
I wouldn't count on there being any source for cash in La Ventana. I've always used my ATM/VISA card at an ATM at a bank in La Paz before heading to LV.
Immigration: will it take a long time to get the Tourist Card at Los Cabos airport?
It's quick in La Paz - you fill out the paperwork on the airplane and wait in line (while your "golf clubs" are being unloaded) for a few minutes to get through immigration.
Definitely. Depending on where you're staying, there may be good folks to hang with right in your hood. Ask around and you'll have no trouble finding good eats, drinks and company.

There are lots of good restaurants, and with a little sense, you can eat out without having any tummy trouble. A few of my favorites:
1. A hot dog at Tacos Leon. Yes I said "hot dog" in Baja. Have Ruchi make you his "Hot Dog Especial". Unreal.

2. There is a big yellow building with "La Ventana Kiteboarding" painted on it. It's right on the beach, a way's upwind of Baja Joe's, just next door to the public campground. Outside dining right on the beach (choose a less windy night). They have great thin crust pizza cooked in their open air wood fired oven, right next to the bar.

3. If you want something more upscale, the new restaurant at La Ventana Windsports served an awesome Thanksgiving dinner. If the rest of their stuff lives up to that meal, it's recommended.
People are generally friendly. Stay away from the Federales (federal police). Have a great time!

Kirk out

metabon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by metabon » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:50 am

Thanks Kirk!

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:16 pm

I actually looked at my calendar to see if I could sneak away and share that ride from Cabo with you guys! A man can dream, can't he?

Have a great trip! Send us a "postcard" via BAK when you're able!

Kirk out

metabon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by metabon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:40 pm

Deal - and let us know if you want to share that ride!

tomerp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by tomerp » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:58 pm

Hi There
Maybe too late for you if you left already... but:

My trip to La Ventana end of november was GREAT!. I changed $200 USD at the airport SJD. From there took a shuttle to the "strip" of kiting in La Ventana. that was $140 each way. No delay in airport. What tourist card? immigration at SJD took just a few minutes.

There is no ATM there from what I saw. I recommend $150 USD changed to pesos per week of stay per couple. This will let you buy local food easily. For big things like kite repairs, etc, use actual US dollars.

For food in the evening, just walk along the "kite-strip" (using Vegas analogies here). And ask locals who are at your resort. You can find a pizza place, a burrito/taco/fruit place, etc. its all on the strip and thats where you can use those pesos.

for hangout in the evening: the closest thing to a hangout I saw is the pizza place north of palapas ventana because they have a TV, or some private resort parties (for guests usually).

I can say that the one thing i should not have brought is the Pump. There were plenty of pumps in Palapas Ventana which is where i stayed.

metabon wrote:I just got my golf bag and am looking forward to head to La Ventana next week!

Since I haven't been to La Ventana (or Mexico) before, I'm not sure what to expect. Sounds like quite a few of you have been traveling there very recently, I hope you can help me with some basic questions:

Cheers,
Carsten

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:23 pm

TRAVELING?? I CAN HELP YOU OUT!

I have many bags to choose from- (newish to hella oldish)
I'll sell you a (slightly used) Golf-Pro for example for $70-
Give me a Holler!
G'

metabon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by metabon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:09 am

Behold the windline!
(if the image attachment works)

Thanks for the useful advice everyone! I didn't have to pay extra with the golf bag and we had five windy days in the week I've been down here. So far my biggest problem has been deciding whether to ride the 9m or the 12m ;-)

This place is amazing, shame I have to leave on Sunday.
Attachments
mobileimage.jpg
mobileimage.jpg (234.1KiB)Viewed 8447 times