East Coast August destinations?

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
G-man
Contributor
Contributor
East Coast August destinations?

Post by G-man » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:51 am

Hey gang,

My extended family is looking to do a vacation in August 2011 somewhere on the east coast, preferably Northeast or Mid Atlantic. I, of course, would like to incorporate kiting into the mix. We've gone to Outer Banks in the past, but some family members with babies have complained about the lengthy connecting flights and long drive from the nearest airport to get there.

Is there anywhere else that is easier to get to (anywhere between Maryland to Maine) that has a decent chance of kiteable conditions in August? Martha's Vineyard, Long Island, Rhode Island, Cape Cod, Jersey Shore, Maryland? Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!
Gary

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Re: East Coast August destinations?

Post by nick_80044 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:40 pm

If you're considering the Jersey shore, you might want to check these guys out:

http://greenhatkiteboarding.com/index.html

Also, this might be helpful:

http://www.ikitesurf.com/forums/viewtop ... 43f634c7af

Looks like they have some good local info on their site. I'm from that area and haven't been back since I started kiting, but I also hope to be there next August.

Good luck!

kitedancer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitedancer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:26 pm

Hello;

You will not find reliable wind like here, but below is a list of most likely places to have wind - I have kited at all these spots. Bring a surfboard and a light wind kite. ~Lisa

-Chatham, MA
-Rhode Island
-Block Island (can take ferry from Rhode Island for day trips)
-Nantucket, MA
-Long Island, NY (Gilgo Beach, Great South Bay) - avoid the CT sound. Out East has some nice windy spots, but access can be iffy, unless you have a boat or a house right on the water. If you want to know more, PM me.
-Wilmington, NC
-Charleston, SC
F-One BANDIT 5M 7M 9M
Naish Alana TT

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:49 pm

You can also visit one of our 'sister sites' NJPA Kiteforum and get some good feedback there as many of them have been up and down the East Coast and know what's up.

www.njpakiteforum.com