Beach Stewards?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:04 pm

L.M.G. wrote:Just buy me a magaphone, I'll hand out the punishment too.
"NO KITING FOR YOU!!!",
L.M.G. (The kite Nazi)

P.S. this is a joke
There we go, a little humor at last! I actually have a bullhorn around here somewhere. I got it as a joke years ago and showed up at the jobsite and started yelling at everyone. Maybe it will have found a proper home at last - in the cab of LMG's truck. Then you can be Ultra-LMG! =D>

I'll dig it up - it takes 8 AA batteries, but they last a long time....

kite-o-matik
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kite-o-matik » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:24 pm

it takes 8 AA batteries, but they last a long time....
Depends on how much yelling he has to do. ](*,)

Hana
Regular
Regular

Post by Hana » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:28 pm

Sorry, it is not a joke, but here is what I thought.

I really am not in the position of how schools should operate, and keep this in mind, I took a course at Action Sports Maui in Sep. 03, which has an excellent program. You can check more detail at ikorg.com. Basically after lessons, they will give you an IKO kiteboarder card, which specifies your skill level. (http://www.ikorg.com/student_standards.php?menu_id=1)

Knowing where you are after your lessons, you have a better understanding of your skills. I'm not saying all school should follow their system, however, it certainly is beneficial (to me at least). Because I personally did not think it was sufficient after my very first lesson, being "you are on your own", especially after only a few hours of lesson. I was intimidated to ask questions, and I did not know ANYONE. Some instructors personally mention/refer someone, "talk to this guy/girl". I think that would help too, just being referred by someone you know. Like someone looking for a buddy, or someone to help at the beach. I believe that one of the benefit of this forum is to get connected with others who in need of assistance, not only to discuss on a critical issue.

Sometimes I forget being a totally newbie and the need of help because I am too anxious to get going, but definitely if I am referred by someone I will look for the person. On Friday, when I saw a newbie trying to get on a board, and when he did, I was so excited by just looking at, remembering how happy I was to get on a board for the first time. Everyone was a beginner at some point and I think that I'd help others when necessary, not being a full-time helper, because I want to kite too (well at least I am honest about that.).

BTW, IKO has a liability insurance for a student with kiteboarder card.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:35 pm

kite-o-matik wrote:
it takes 8 AA batteries, but they last a long time....
Depends on how much yelling he has to do. ](*,)
Hahaha.... If anyone will wear them out, he will! Better get the Energizer Bunnies on the case! Or better yet, rig it for 120v AC! :axe:

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:43 am

NO kiteing for you !
or you get a time out!
go to your room.
charlie

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:15 am

I'm going to acknowledge that Yoko's post was right on the money. When you are in that nether zone between having finished lessons and actually knowing how to kite, having someone with a shirt offering genuinely helpful assist would be a big help.
While there are almost always lots of helpful, friendly people at the launches, the newbies don't know who they are. And there is that whole "fear of potential embarrassment about asking the right question" thing. I got laughed at by several people when I was learning, and it tends to make you hesitant to ask questions.
When you're setting your kite up yourself for like, the 5th or 6th time, what really sucks is to have someone yell at you to "hurry up" or "This is your one chance, newbie, if you get it wrong you go home!".. Even if those things are said jokingly, they just make your more nervous.

I think the biggest liability risk for the rashie wearers would be that they might find people spontaneously hugging them and buying them beers.

Rebecca

Post by Rebecca » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:57 am

For what it's worth, I introduce myself to newbies all of the time and try to offer advice. I was super busy this weekend, and had a guy proactively walk up to me to check his lines. I was in the middle of a windsurfing class, but I was able to introduce him to an experienced kiter who walked his lines with him.

I'm sure he asked for advice because I was wearing a red rash guard shirt with instructor on it. Had I had the time, I would have been happy to walk his lines and help him out.

I know there may be some liability issues, but it seems to me that we already offer advice and help each other out. Having rash guards to point out the fact that you're open to giving assistance might be a very, very good thing.

Here are a few areas where we could use assistance:

1) Someone to spearhead getting the upwind bush dug up and replanted
-Estimate the cost and work with the park, SFBA and maybe even do a fundraising bbq to get the funds (We'll donate the new shiney Boardsports BBQ for the cooking)

2) People to take shifts being "zone managers."
-Introduce yourselves to the newbies
-Have them read the safety guidelines
-Make sure kites/lines aren't left in the launch zone
-Make sure the launch zone is clear of the public
-Maybe even have kiters wait a second until a family clears the pathway before launching
-Ask people to move from the bench downwind of the launch zone (when the wet paint sign isn't on it).
-Maybe we keep a list of times on the shack were volunteers can sign their name in for 1/2 hour duties??

3) Volunteers to order rash guards and volunteers to wear the rash guards.

3) Work with the park to see if we can get the downwind bench moved to a location upwind. If there are expenses involved, see if we can get the SFBA to contribute...

4) A few volunteers who's mission is to get fellow kiters enrolled in the SFBA. Maybe 10 kiters who are committed to getting 10 other kiters to sign up (since we'll be using funds for the kiting community we have to find a way to contribute back). I have a box of SFBA news letters with enrollment forms.

5) Other ideas????

Finally, we need an Alameda Kite Safety Leader who can spearhead stuff like this. I thought I could take a more active role, but Jane's back has been thrown out, so I'm very busy with the school right now.

If any of you would like to take on any of these tasks or be the Safety Leader, please contact me: 415-385-1224 or boardsportslessons@sbcglobal.net. This past weekend I collected a list of people that would like to volunteer in one capacity or another. I'd be happy to expand that list and pass it along to a leader. Also, I'd be happy to help give assistance to anyone taking on these projects...I know where we can get rash guards, I have the names/numbers of the park personel and the names/numbers of the SFBA board of directors.

Cheers,
Rebecca - Boardsports Shack

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:41 pm

Rebecca,

Thanks for your post and input, once again!

Glad to see that this topic is still getting some attention. Your ideas are darn good. There's a couple people I could think of to nominate who could spearhead these things.

Let's talk soon and try and hammer some of these things out.

Thanks,
Ollie

Rebecca

Post by Rebecca » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:19 pm

Hi Ollie,

Thanks. I'm very excited about getting more kiters involved in keeping the Alameda safe. Call me. I would love the help!

See you soon (hopefully catching as big of air as I saw you catch last Monday!)
-Rebecca
415-38-1224

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:14 am

Rebecca wrote:
Finally, we need an Alameda Kite Safety Leader who can spearhead stuff like this. I thought I could take a more active role, but Jane's back has been thrown out, so I'm very busy with the school right now.

Cheers,
Rebecca - Boardsports Shack
Rebecca,

I would nominate Bob and/or Sylvia naturally, but don't know what their schedule is like or whether they're able to take an active role in this. But certainly, they would be ideal candidates.