Flight Info for La Paz/La Ventana

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin
Flight Info for La Paz/La Ventana

Post by WindMuch » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:39 pm

Hi All,

If you're lucky enough to be making plans to travel to La Ventana this year, this may be of interest…

You may know you can fly to Cabo and drive to La Ventana (2+ hrs) or you can fly to La Paz via LA on Alaska/Horizon. La Ventana is about 45 minutes by car or taxi from La Paz. Once at La Ventana, I've never found the need for a car, so I prefer to fly to La Paz and get a ride or take a taxi, rather than deal with the Cabo drive and rental car expense.

In terms of round trip flights to La Paz this year, Alaska Airlines/Horizon screwed up the timing of connecting flights from La Paz to LAX and then to SFO.

Last year, the departing flight from La Paz left around 3:00pm, leaving enough time to get to LA, clear customs and get on a flight to SFO.

This year, the flight out of La Paz leaves at 5:00pm, arriving LAX at 7:00pm (including the 1 hour time change). With a 2 hour requirement to clear customs, there isn't an Alaska/Horizon flight to SFO available after 9:00pm. If you search for round trips on the Alaska website or call them directly, they'll tell you that you have to spend the night in LA and fly on to SFO the next morning.

So here's the trick to avoiding a night at LAX: Tell the Alaska/Horizon booking agent that United has a 9:38pm flight from LAX to SFO. They won't automatically look to other "non partner" airlines, but they WILL book this flight for you for a $15 dollar booking fee. Yay, now I'm home in one evening and not sleeping on the floor in LAX. Plus, you get to kite a little extra on your travel day as you have an extra 2 hours to get to the airport for the flight leaving La Paz!

Hope this helps some South-bound travelers,

Kirk out

stewart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Flight Info for La Paz/La Ventana

Post by stewart » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:17 am

Kirk,

Once you clear customs do you have to go to the United ticket counter, or do they have check in available right after customs?

Trying to find out if we have to shlep our gear all over LAX.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:47 pm

Hi Stewart,

I just spoke with United who said they have a baggage agreement with Alaska/Horizon at LAX. According to the person I spoke with, it would be best to ask the Alaska/Horizon folks in La Paz to tag everything straight through to SFO.

One we've cleared Customs in LA, the bags should go directly back to United headed for SFO, without having to go back through security or find their way to the domestic terminal to be re-checked.

At least that's what they said...

Kirk out

funmilton
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by funmilton » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:05 pm

Looks like there is a 9:00pm flight to San Jose, CA

Might be safer for the bags than deal with the United situation.

kitecrazy
Regular
Regular

Post by kitecrazy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:30 am

The alaska flight I just booked leaves La Paz at 2:53 PM and arrives at LAX at 4:50...
This is for Sunday January 23rd. :-"

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:34 am

dont forget sunscreen- :oops:
ENJOY!
G'

stewart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stewart » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:20 pm

I have been looking at the SJC to LAP flights and the LAP to SJC return. You are looking at a over 6hrs 7 minutes total travel time. That plus the 45 minute ride = 6hrs 52min.

Going into SJD from SFO is 3hr 12 min. That plus 1.75 hrs +/- drive = 5 hrs. Since the flight is non-stop there is also no chance of flight delays/cancellations in LAX.

I think I saw a ride from SJD to La Ventana is about $150.00. Not sure what a ride costs from LAP to La Ventana runs. I did notice the price for a LAP ticket is about $100 more.

So, I am still trying to figure out what the advantage of LAP is unless SJD flights are booked???

PS I am trying to book 11/26 to 12/2.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:21 pm

Stewart,

I just sent my phone number to your @sbcglobal.net address.

Give me a ring if you like...

Kirk out

kitecrazy
Regular
Regular

Post by kitecrazy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:50 pm

The think the advantage of LAP over SJD is situation dependent.
I'm being picked up in La Paz by friends. They usually combine picking me up with a visit to the store for supplies. La Paz airport is quick, easy and small. I'd rather pay a little more for the convenience of a quick pickup for my friends. Just based on drive time there are much fewer risk driving from La Paz to La ventana than there are driving from San Jose del Cabo to La Ventana (not that either is a bad drive).

However...you can get first class into and out of SJD but not with LAP...if that matters. (regional jets and turbo-props just dont have the room for a dedicated first class section)

Either way...We're going to Mexico! =D> =D> :dance: :dance: :partyman: