Hellfish Sighting

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
dt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dt » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:16 pm

It was a 13m kite and I believe it was from XtremeBigAir because they are the only ones with a Hellfish in CA and theirs is a 13m.

I heard a rumor that the skipper was overpowered even though he looked big and other big guys were on 12m kites. When I saw him on the water he was in the middle of the pack. It was gusty but I was fine on an 11M Yarga and I weigh 174 lbs.

I also groped the kite and agree with the other gropers. I was surprised the LE wasn't pumped up harder. It was about as firm as I pump my Yarga's. In flight it held its shape well with an occasional flutter like all kites. I really didn't get to see it fly enough up close to notice anything interesting. Earlier I measured the wind on the beach and it was 25-33 mph but on the water the wind seemed less consistent than that and the water was pretty choppy from ships, ferries and a slight ebb.

Party on,
dt
Last edited by dt on Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wondering about Hell

Hellfish

Post by Wondering about Hell » Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:44 am

While I was not there to grope the kite, I know 100% that It was not Extremebig air who has the hellfish.

I spoke with the pilot earlier in the afternoon. I he chooses, he can discuss it himself on this forum.

Good winds + waves, Zeev.

kies

Post by kies » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:58 pm

was it loserdaves kite

anyway. no big deal, but trying to get a real read on the sizes for the winds. ya know if I am 100 yards to the pin do I go down a club, putt, or the same club as my old hogan's. Is a 13 your club if all are swinging away on 15's, or ??

MORE importantly...glad to see the thursday night group rides....I was on the bus watching....then I saw a dude lose his kite and then self rescue in....looked like the guide boat of the cruise ship swung back and grabbed him.

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Re: Hellfish

Post by KillaHz » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:12 pm

Wondering about Hell wrote:While I was not there to grope the kite, I know 100% that It was not Extremebig air who has the hellfish.

I spoke with the pilot earlier in the afternoon. I he chooses, he can discuss it himself on this forum.

Good winds + waves, Zeev.
Hey, I was riding the 13m 3rd generation prototype at Crissy...sorry benn in the delta all weekend and just go tback on line.

Kite was great albeit I was way overpowered on the 13m and 135 x 43 board in 28 average and 38 gusts...no real surprise there though. I think had I been on a smaller board, I would have been able to handle it better...although for my first time racing, I think 8th out of 37 is pretty good...had my chicken loop not snapped under the extreme load, I would have had 6th in the second heat. I guess we'll see next time.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

f
Contributor
Contributor

Post by f » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:51 am

Was it the same 13 prototype that exploded according to the following thread (see the message from "Dewey")?
http://www.windwing.com/Forum/forum_pos ... D=356&PN=1

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:00 am

I wouldn't get all excited about the smell fish. Wait until you see what Naish has for 2006. I think they pulled the post on kiteforum but you won't want to pay all that money for a Best kite when you can get a much higher quality Naish one that will far out perform the Best line. The new Torch comes out soon from what I hear. It is funny how much advertising Best does and the big name companies don't have to do any.

loserdavies
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hellfish

Post by loserdavies » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:17 am

It wasn't me. Xtremebigair does have a hellfish to demo. currently only on the central coast. he will have it at Sherman Island to Demo over 4th of July and we are trying to firm a date for Alameda and 3rd ave. I will let you know when that will be.

Windseeker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Windseeker » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:50 pm

No offense Pipedragon, this isn't directed specifically at you, but to all the die hard Naish lovers out there. Its kinda funny how defensive Naish fans get time and time again whenever something potentially better comes out. I not saying the hellfish has proven itself yet, but its still way to early to try and trash it saying Naish is best. Naish reps are particularily bad for whoring out for their team, trying to trash the competition when in reality their overpriced kites do not fly worlds above the rest. Most new kites with similar aspect ratios from a leading manufacturer will fly quite similar to one another. The major difference being safety systems and relaunch options from bridles of 5th lines etc. Don't get me wrong, Naish kites perform very well and if you have the money to throw away then why not..... but to constantly pump them as the only option for a great performing kite is just a bunch of bs.

Here's a lesson for all the new guys and gals to the sport. Go demo several kite brands (if you can) before you decide to drop the big bucks for a kite if your buying new.... don't believe all the Naish trash talking hype.

dt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dt » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:54 pm

pipedragon wrote:I wouldn't get all excited about the smell fish. Wait until you see what Naish has for 2006. I think they pulled the post on kiteforum but you won't want to pay all that money for a Best kite when you can get a much higher quality Naish one that will far out perform the Best line. The new Torch comes out soon from what I hear. It is funny how much advertising Best does and the big name companies don't have to do any.
It is funny how Pipedragon thinks an unannounced Naish kite or an unannounced Torch is going to be better than the Hellfish which is half the weight and has less drag than any other kite.
What Pipedragon is really saying is "Don't buy Best".

Pipedragon, got issues? Why don't you just say what your real problem with Best is rather than make up shit about kites you don't know anything about.

dt

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:47 pm

[/quote]Was it the same 13 prototype that exploded according to the following thread (see the message from "Dewey")?
http://www.windwing.com/Forum/forum_pos ... PN=1[quote]

Yeah that's the same one, but like he said it was a proto. I didn't bring it up on general forums, because I don't like to trash talk kites (Pipe). Maybe if I owned a company and had money on it I'd want to put down other kites to sell more. I don't like to play that game. I've seen people rock on all brands. When I'm out on a windwing and someone else is on a best how does that affect me??
Dewey