rideing too close to the beach

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Its a big world
riding too close

Post by Its a big world » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:17 am

Here is what I don't really get.....if you want to ride close the beach, for butter, waves, broken ankles, whatever - there is a lot of beach downwind for the launch area. Have at it kids.

I have started launching downwind of the "official launch area" to avoid the frenzy of the launch. Yup, it's a self launch - no big deal.

Later, Z.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:58 pm

From what I have seen the downwind beach section is where the families hang out, not necessarily a better option. Last time I saw a guy wiped at the launch, and what saved him was a bunch of other flyers that knew what do to and basically saved his a$$ and the kite. Still seems like a better option than crashing your kite on a family.

whitecap
Regular
Regular

Post by whitecap » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:04 pm

I have only been out a few times at Alameda this year, but we hog some beach when I bring the fam. Maybe Charlie has a point, as my wife is always hanging out way outside the beach - never an issue. Alex, on the other hand, with 12 yr old attitude, needs me and everyone else to tell him to get the hell away from the beach. The bouys do help at Rio, as they set a limit that Dad tries to enforce. Brian is the newbie, and he takes too much time at the shore as do other less competent kiters. I try to be good, but am not perfect.

To be politically incorrect, I will say there have been days where I am pleased as hell to see Chip, LMG, Ant or other leading citizens huck a fat transition off of the beach. These guys are sooo good, and have sooo much control, that I never see them get in anyone's way, and I never see them disrespect someone learning. OK, not the right response, but they are a bunch =D> more entertaining than Detroit vs. Miami...

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:12 pm

Hello cap
last time i saw chip and limm gee start up there throw down, i came in to watch ,chip and lmg amp each other up to try some very wild stuff!!
i must admit i watch for the wipe outs, ouch. i saw grag thow a 45foot jump with spins in it! chip counter with fat jumps and kite loops
of course they were hitting sand on the wipeouts.
charlie

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:18 pm

45 feet? Then I huck 45 feet. I sense slight exaggeration....

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:24 pm

HEY
iput my thumb out ...and.....

you looked just as high ...how high are you jumping ollie?
charlie

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:48 pm

Ask the FAA, they might know. :yawinkle:

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:05 pm

Ollie,
You know Charlie's thumb is 12 inches long. Not like those boys who need to boost big air near shore...

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:09 pm

That one was supposed to end with
:wink:

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:27 pm

ya thats why i kite a mile off shore ....

so i dont run over it . 8)
charlie