pena adobe lagoon near vacaville

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
bendoolittle
Contributor
Contributor
pena adobe lagoon near vacaville

Post by bendoolittle » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:32 pm

I spent some time windsurfing at pena adobe lagoon when I was first learning to sail many years ago. I am back learning how to kite and have been by the lagoon a few times but never seen anyone out there. Anybody kiting there?

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:06 pm

ben,

Is this that little lake you can see from 80 on the right when you are driving from the bay?

Blair

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:40 am

I live pretty close to the lagoon, but it never even occured to me that anyone would kite there... It's completely surrounded by hills even though that area is like wind tunnel when the DB gets going.

Do you remember what the wind was like when you were WS there? Was it super gusty, up and down, or pretty steady. Did you ride on west or north wind days?

If you wanted to try it sometime, let me know and I could meet you there. Probably not something to try solo.

Paul

bendoolittle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bendoolittle » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:54 pm

Blair, yep, the little lagoon (lagoon Valley exit I think) just to the right if you are eastbound on 80.....Paul, I don't recall if it was gusty or better on what days. I do remember that when I was going out there, again as a beginner/intermediate w/surfer, there were quite a few other folks out there sailing. The lagoon is long and thin and seems to funnel the wind fairly well....launch looks not bad.....downwind are trees to one side but a levee type thing that if you needed to get out you could on the other side. I really am a beginner so wouldn't do this solo....but would like to explore the possibility of sailing there if others are inclined. Anyone who drives by there can scout it....self pay at the gate, but I drove in and cruised it quickly. Let me know what you think. sure would save me alot of miles!!!
bd

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:50 pm

I've thought about it several times. I take my dogs for walks around the lake and look for places to launch. It can get windy there, but I think it would get gusty. You'd have to walk around to the west side of the lake, and set up in the weeds. Sherman is only 45min from the lake. Guys to help out if anything goes wrong, better wind, sandy launch. Just go to SI.

Dewey
Dewey

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:41 pm

Dewey,
I was hoping you would chime in on this one.

All roads lead to Sherman.

Paul

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:05 pm

I think that's the safe bet. Believe me I thought of it many times walking the dog. I'm still tempted at times, but things go wrong fast in strong gusty winds.

But I'm just a chicken, if your up to it give it a try and let me know. It's only 5 minutes from the house!!
Dewey

bendoolittle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bendoolittle » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:12 pm

let me know if you guys decide to give it a shot.
bd