Kite Insurance when travelling?

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
marinkiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Kite Insurance when travelling?

Post by marinkiter » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:25 pm

I am going to Brazil next month and will be taking 2 or 3 2010 kites and a couple bars. I have never travelled with this kind of merchandise before. I usually just pack some clothes and go and rent a surfboard at my destination. It's sketching me out a little bit guys. This is a lot of expensive stuff to keep track up during a 3 week mobile excursion up and down the NE Coast.

Has anybody ever taken any kind of travel insurance on their kite gear when travelling? Or does anyone have advice travelling around the Ceara coast with quiver and board and have any tips? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jon

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Re: Kite Insurance when travelling?

Post by ramsey » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:30 am

On my recent trip to Egypt, this german dude ran over and broke my lines on my new bar. I charged him for them. He had kite insurance. I sent a couple pictures of the damage, and I assume he got reimbursed for it. Never tried it myself, but if you have some kooky tendencies I would recommend it :P

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:02 am

your renters insurance or homeowners insurance covers loss or theft. i pay $140 a year for a $5000 policy with a $100 deductible. it's worth it for peace of mind.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

mike
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by mike » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:07 pm

Sounds like you'll be moving around quite a bit so not sure if this would be feasible, but apart from insurance, some of the kite schools/centers along the coast might have secure storage space available. For example - the Skyriders center in Prea has secure kite lockers available for a nominal fee in a really nice new building. You might look into whether your destinations have something similar.

marinkiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by marinkiter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:39 am

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:17 pm

I recommend MediJetAssist-
Dont break your neck, leg or whatever else outside of the US without it!!
They sell limited time policy's for a reasonable price and will fly you out of ANYWHERE in the world with a medical trama team onboard. REMEMBER- You dont get to just jump on any airliner and fly home with a medical emergency, you may actually be banned from flying if your in to bad a shape... being held up can cause major complications if your seriously in need of medical attention. Proper insurance saves LIVES.

Czech
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Czech » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:10 pm

In regards to your gear up in the North East, just be aware, if you leave it in a locked car and its visable it will be gone, if you leave it on the beach unattended it will be gone, if you leave your Pousada unlocked it will be gone. Even if you take great care you may get your gear stolen at some point. With that said, someone in Brazil always knows something and you may be able to purchase it back at a small fee in comparison to what its worth. I assure you that the guy stealing your 4+K of gear does not know its worth 4+K Keep it in sight at all times and put everything in your room at night. Dont leave it out, this will MINIMIZE the chances.....