Mancora, Peru

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
loserdavies
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Mancora, Peru

Post by loserdavies » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:39 pm

I just got back from an excellent trip to Mancora, Peru. Flew to Guayaquil, Ecuador, where we were met by Skip (Skip is the owner of PeruKitecamp and he was our guide for the week) and waited for person to fill out a claim for one bag that didn’t make it. We learned that at best they would only deliver the one bag to the boarder. Since it was just clothes, we decided we could do without it and we’d pick it up in 10 days. This might be a problem for someone who loses kites or boards. If the airline were to lose baggage in Lima they would bus it up to Mancora so flying to Ecuador may be a problem if a board bag did not make it. There is only one flight to Guayaquil, Ecuador a day on American Airlines so you’d either have to come back, 16hrs round trip, to get the bag or you’d have to wait in Ecuador. The drive to Mancora takes 6 hours. We arrived at our hotel that is owned by Felipe and Eva. It is a magnificent hotel. Phone 005173258525 call after 5pm pacific time or email luisfelipericci@hotmail.com, the name of the hotel is Villa Oasis Suites. They have a pool, are located at the point in Mancora for the best access to the surf. Walk to town is 1 block. And they run an ice cream shop right on the beach that they make themselves. The ice cream is excellent. All rooms have their own bathroom, hot water and some of the best mattresses in Mancora. We had a view of the ocean and our own Jacuzzi tub (only one room has this). There is an outdoor shower to wash your gear and everything is kept locked up with easy access. We got up every morning to a great breakfast by Filipe and Eva, omelets, potatoes, fresh bread and fruit with a Fruit smoothie. We kited 8 out of 8 days thanks to the great tour guide PeruKitecamp offered. I rode my 10m and 7.5m kite and I weigh 180lbs. The food in Mancora is fantastic. There are great places downtown to eat at and the prices are very reasonable. We surfed every morning and evening right out in from of the hotel but we traveled for kiting every day. Skip’s company PeruKitecamp is well known and attracts a fair amount of experienced riders for tours as well as beginners looking for lessons, I see other kiters in Mancora, most are not using guides and they got skunked 6 out of 8 days. It is a shame, the knowledge Skip has is remarkable, and there is no doubt he knows the area and what he expects us to encounter. There are no signs to many of the spots we kited nor are there paved roads. Places like Lobitos and Mancora can easily be found. Places like Bateria , Cabo Blanco and Tres Cruses are places you need a guide. There are other ways to get in and out of Mancora. You can fly to Lima and then fly to Piura. It’s a 2.5 hour drive to Mancora by car from Piura. Or you can take a bus from Guayaquil, Ecuador to Mancora. We paid a little extra for the service of having the transport. The buses are very nice and I would not hesitate to take them. They are luxury buses and are very easy to work with. The bus stop is 1 mile from the airport in Ecuador and you can take a taxi to get to the bus station. The airport in Guayaquil, Ecuador is very easy to get around and everyone speaks some English also their currency is US dollars so you don’t have to worry about a different currency. The currency in Peru is the Soles which they prefer.
Last edited by loserdavies on Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

mike
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Mancora, Peru

Post by mike » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:13 pm

Sounds awesome, thanks for the report. Something I've always been curious about - are ALL the breaks in Peru lefts?

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:25 pm

How difficult was the Ecuador/Peru border crossing?

loserdavies
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by loserdavies » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:53 am

All were lefts. One small right but it was not long. The boarder crossing was simple. Either by guide or by bus. I happened to be there when the buses came so I saw the whole routine. When you leave Ecuador, you have to fill out a paper and show them your passport. They stamp it and give you have the paper back (keep it) and get back in bus. 1/4 mi later get out of bus again and fill out paper and show passport again get back in bus and you are on your way. Repeat in reverse on the way out. It was very simple. And all the boarder agents spoke english.