Best Kites

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Big Al
Best Kites

Post by Big Al » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:58 pm

Just got a quiver of Best Kites (Nemesis 10-14-18) and the Best bar. Haven't had a chance to fly them yet, but as soon as I do I will post a review. I was only going to buy one kite, but then they had a few customer services blunders and ended up giving me an incredible deal on a full quiver.

If it's windy during the week I'll probably go to Alameda after work.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Best Kites

Post by Greg » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:10 pm

Big Al,
I look forward to your review. I'd also like to see/try the kites. I'm going to get a 14 X4 soon we'll have to swich for a few minutes for comparison.
I've heard good things about the X4, Niccilo was witnessed doing double handle passes with a kite loop at kitebeach, Hi.
L.M.G.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:07 pm

Big Al,

Looking forward to seeing them. After placing an order with them for some accessories they had some issues/delays also thus providing me with a couple freebies too. If the kites are similiar to their customer service, you should be happy with them.

Can't wait to try LMG's X4's some time if he'll let me, although I probably won't be doing any double handle passes! But I have been known to do kite loops accidentally in the middle of major wipe-outs.....

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:35 pm

If it's windy at Alameda, count on seeing me there and you can check them out.

I took the 14 out of the bag and pumped it up. The construction looks solid. Also, they have a 30 day guarantee. If they suck, I'm sending them back!

I'm not too impressed with the bar though... There are a few details that were overlooked in my opinion.

For one, the kite leash attaches to your wrist. I don't like them as they restrict movements for one arm. I much prefer the leash to attach to your spreader bar or harness. You can make it "fit" on your spreader bar, but it is very loose and slides around. In addition, if you ever need to completely free yourself from the kite, the release mechanism doesn't function properly if it is attached to your spreader bar.

Also, the chicken loop rope is too thin and is unprotected and will wear out quickly. I dipped it in candle wax to reduce wear and add some life to it.

There is no stopper ball on the kite lines. My previous bars all had stopper balls to prevent the bar from sliding all the way up to the kite when you deploy the safety. I don't know if this is a big deal or not?

However, you also have to take into consideration that this bar costs half the price of most other brands.

I do like the quick release on the chicken loop. It is simple and seems like it will work properly even under extreme load.

Anyways, those are my thoughts on the bar. Hopefully we'll get some wind soon so I can fly these kites.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:41 pm

Al,

Your Nemesis 18 looked nice today, too bad the wind was dying down. I was on my way to TI and just about at the sand bar when it started dropping. Pity. But there's always another day. Looking forward to seeing them fly powered up.

Big Al
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Big Al » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:53 pm

I was happy to at least get to fly it, even in very light winds. The kite felt very stable. I don't think I had the lines trimmed correctly so at least I know for next time and not all was lost...

Anyhow, you can take it out for a test ride next time there is some good wind so you can see how they fly. We just need some damn wind :twisted: :!:

Big Al
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Best Kite Review

Post by Big Al » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:13 am

I've had 3 sessions so far with my Best Kites and I wanted to update my original post.

Disclaimer: I am an intermediate rider who has been kiting for 1.5 years now. In addition I have not kited since last October so there was a bit of "rust" factor in my riding. I weigh 180 lbs and ride a SS SX 136 board. Prior to these kites, I owned a Airush Lift 11.5 and a Cabrinha 16 CO2 (two VERY different kites).

I've ridden the 14M and the 10M now, twice with the 14M and once with the 10M. They are very stable in the air and have never come close to jelly fishing. I even slacked all four lines once on a wipe out and the kite didn't drop. My older kites would've probably dropped. However, I think all '04 kites are much more stable than their predecessors. My first overall impression is that they are very powerful and somewhat grunty kites. They have a steady pull with medium-light bar pressure. When a gust hits them, they don't charge forward in the window like some other high AR kites. In fact they didn't feel like any other high AR kite that I've ridden before, they have more grunt. As far as jumping goes, they are very technical in that you need to time them just right to get some air. My first couple of attempts at jumping my timing was way off and I barely got off the ground and just ended up shooting downwind at hyper speed. On final tact of my last session, I was finally able to get a nice jump and I was very impressed with the loft, however I biffed the landing...

I first got to fly the 14M Nemesis, once at Ashby beach and once at Alameda. On my first ride I was underpowered at Ashby and didn't really get to test the kite much. The kite was rather slow turning for a high AR kite. I was using a 55cm bar, which might've been on the small side for a kite this size at the low end of its wind range. Then on Monday, I went to Alameda and there was good wind all the way until sunset. The wind was probably averaging 20mph gusting to 25-26mph. The kite had a ton of power and I had hard time holding my edge in the gusts. I even pulled the depower strap all the way in and I found myself riding with the chicken loop sheeted out the whole time and I was still very powered. Jeff R. was on his 14M Nitro and seemed like he was doing fine. I think part of the problem was me, not so much the kite as I haven't kited in 5 months and was just rusty. However, even if I was in was in good kiting form, I wouldn't feel comfortable with this kite past 22mph. Overall I liked the power of the kite, but I don't feel totally dialed in with this kite yet. I think I have to ride it a few more times to pass judgment on it.

On Tuesday I was at Alameda again and this time the wind was up a notch and I rigged my 10M. This kite rocks! Very stable, very fast turning. At the beginning of the session, I was slightly underpowered, but the kite easily generated a good deal of power with a little bit of work. Then the wind started cranking and the kite was very well behaved and didn't pull me off the edge at all. It just slowly went forward in the window and depowered nicely. Unlike with the 14M, I felt totally comfortable with this kite and I even got a good jump at the end of the session!

Anyhow, these are my initial opinions of these kites. My decision to go with Best Kites this year was purely economical. I normally like to support my local shops, but I am getting married this summer and will have to fork out a lot of cash in the coming months and therefore I would've only been able to buy 1 '04 kite of any other company. For $1425, I got three kites with a set of bar and lines delivered to my door. I don't know if they are the best kites for me, but for the price I paid I think I got more than a fair deal and so far I am happy with them.