rideing too close to the beach

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:00 pm

Well you know the best way is to talk to people about it directly on the beach and in person
You and I both know that does not work.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:45 pm

Bob wrote:
Well you know the best way is to talk to people about it directly on the beach and in person
You and I both know that does not work.
That may be true, but I was just relieved that to hear that other than one nonchalant wipeout, the subject(s) didn't include me. You should have seen me today, I was even farher out. O:)

kitechick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitechick » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:47 pm

is your dick so small thats the only way to feel big?
That's an interesting theory.....so we girls better look for the kiters on the outside :rolleyes: there seems to be more potential
and in case any female riders get close to the beach
ahhh....that's the secret plan....you want to jump directly on them from 50 feet?

seriously - Charlie is my hero, he is one of the few experienced kiters who do not just talk about it but kite safe. He has big brains. Bob is the other truly safety conscious experienced kiter. He has big...uhhm...feet.

oh - you still think it does not matter how close to the beach you kite/jump? It does. Incoming and outgoing traffic in front of the launch is going through a moving obstacle course. Not just by jumpers but also numerous people who need to cruise back and forward exactly there.
Boosting: Newbies and experienced kiters from other locations take you as a role model and think it is standard to do this here and it gets really annoying on some days.
My experience? It happens once in a while that I lose a contact lens and then am literally blind. So I head straight back for the shore. In those situations I feel like a newbie. Although I can conttrol my kite I have not a lot of choice of what to do and I am praying for a clear path.

Thanks for any improvement! - Sylvia :mrgreen:

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:50 pm

the fact that newbies and vistors follow along and crash their kites and ruin it for all of us.
So True So True
I usually only kite close to the beach far upwind and never on a busy day
Sunday would have counted as busy. From my perspective outside of two kite lengths (Alameda Guideline Standard) had a gust nailed you while you floated four feet from waters edge it was the bushes just above the shack or the people sitting in front of the bush.
I hope this was not targeted at me
Use Charlie's one glance down method to verify status...
I am not sure what the problem is
* Losing our beach - because its not ours - its East Bay Regional Parks and as soon as one innocent beach goer or innocent elderly walker from the general citizenry of Alameda is hauled away in an ambulance the leaders of the kiting community will be begging bureaucrats to give us one more chance at some official hearing.

* Ours is a newbie beach: The leaders - those with the most skill - should lead by example. Keeping the launch/landing zone clear while riding.
getting off the beach (remember when) is stressful and difficult
Body dragging out so the kite is not over the beach when sending. And use any of the three and a half miles outside of two kite lengths of the beach to play in.

* The locals set the tone and this past weekend a newbie kiting inside of two kite lengths of the beach went into the beach head first and was hauled away on a backboard.

* That summarizes the concerns being voiced here.

-- It seems our best are not our brightest --
The whole point is to hopefully make these guys see the error of their ways... and make them stop.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:56 pm

-- It seems our best are not our brightest --
I'll try and pass some of this info along to a few individuals to increase awareness.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:00 pm

Can they add to the rules in Alameda that the 200' close to the beach is for going out and coming back in (not for fun riding)?

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:56 am

Anonymous wrote:Can they add to the rules in Alameda that the 200' close to the beach is for going out and coming back in (not for fun riding)?
What about setting some bouys like at Sherman. Perhaps this might help. (although as paublito has described it is not a guarantee)

Blair

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:25 am

pipe
no this was not targeted at you .
but yes sometimes you hog the beach
yesterday, tues at alameda you were john holmes.

in fact the shore was a lot better it looked clear at the put in.
and guest it is in the rules.
Also body drag out ...

just a note .....
if you like to swim ...dont you think that the frist part of the shore is for swimers?
charlie

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:15 pm

kitechick
bobs got more then big feet going on there.
bob .....i love ya man.
thanks for the help.

and .. ya... what he said!.....
charlie

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:35 pm

I got it!
Later,
L.M.G.