MAUI in Late August

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident
MAUI in Late August

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Tue May 11, 2010 3:33 pm

Im going to Maui in August and am looking for some good info. Does anyone recommend a place to stay? Any beaches that are a must for kiting, besides Kitebeach? Good online resources?
THANKS
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

eteamer
Joey
Joey

Re: MAUI in Late August

Post by eteamer » Thu May 13, 2010 11:45 am

Kite Beach is right by the airport and that is a good place to get oriented. There are a gazillion places to stay on Maui but most of them are on the west side which is time share land. Paia is a couple miles north of Kite Beach and is a cool town. Kind of a hippie place but good food and is much greener than the west side. The west side is much dryer and warmer though.

wannabe
Joey
Joey

Post by wannabe » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:07 pm

I just got back from Mauil last week. I took my first lessons with the group at Action Sports Maui. (I did a 3-day class.) They were a great group of guys. I still totally suck, but I think they gave me a good base to grow with.

krongsak
Contributor
Contributor

Post by krongsak » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:05 am

The wind graphs show a slow decline through the winter months. In your opinion what are the odds of getting decent wind over a 4 days week-end in October?

Thanks

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:47 pm

I've been to Maui in late October and even in December and kited. Late October has been great before with 7m kiting and 80F weather (on Maui, 80F is hot). It's not as reliable, but for me Maui is more than a kite-only trip. For me, this is how I see it: If it's not windy, there 100 other great things to do. Flight time is short, leave early, be there by noon or 1pm. Get car, either go kite or go to Costco and stock up. No customs, no long flights, no hassles.

I may go in late October and if it's windy, great, if not, no worries! :P