weather

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Don
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Don » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:52 am

SPAMAN13 wrote:
Tules ruule wrote:I have to disagree with all of you....it was not gusty, just strong. I was @ SI and had a blast on 12/10/8 different times of the day You just need to know what kite to rig and how to use your board when the bigger puffs arrive.

Good times were had by all.

Later, Z.
Well, theres always that one unique individual in all of us... =D>
Make that two. Try riding within a quarter-mile of Crissy's or 3rd's shoreline sometime soon. The experience will not only broaden your perspectives on "gusty", but also increase your riding ability. :wink:

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:13 am

Don wrote:
SPAMAN13 wrote:
Tules ruule wrote:I have to disagree with all of you....it was not gusty, just strong. I was @ SI and had a blast on 12/10/8 different times of the day You just need to know what kite to rig and how to use your board when the bigger puffs arrive.

Good times were had by all.

Later, Z.
This stuff cracks me up. Y'all come to Tahoe if you want to experience gusty. Last summer's Sherman spoiled many of us. Gusty is one thing...holey is another. Give me big boostable gusts any day. It's the holes that suck. Just make sure you have the right kite board combo and have at it....lot's of room on the water when it gets like that. We had gusts to 40 all weekend in Tahoe...good stuff right....no, holes of 5mph...now that makes it hard to pick a kite.

Well, theres always that one unique individual in all of us... =D>
Make that two. Try riding within a quarter-mile of Crissy's or 3rd's shoreline sometime soon. The experience will not only broaden your perspectives on "gusty", but also increase your riding ability. :wink:
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

Don
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Don » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:34 am

O yeah forgot to mention (to those still shopping around), you could see lots of 05 kites performimg sickly yesterday afternoon @SI. In 25-30mph, without much effort, my Rhino5 12 was content to repeatedly haul my 165lbs/125cm mass off the surface. You could observe the same range/performance in that big Crissy-Berkeley downwinder around Alacatraz, which was nuking around 30. Hopefully the fan stays lit a few more days. :rolleyes:

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:00 am

BTW, when I got out of the water at SI (Little Baja, not the main launch) at 6:45 on Sunday, there was not a single kite still out upwind of me, including at the main launch. We all know that when the wind is really sweet, there are kites out on that horizon until past sundown.

So if good times were being had by all, they were being had on the beach with a cooler.

The guy who landed my kite had a wind meter and it was reading gusts to 37.
Everyone said that the wind had been good but gusty earlier in the day...when I went out on a 10m, people were just coming in on their 12s.

I learned alot that day. I learned how to scoot on my butt to slow myself down, and I learned how to ride straight at my kite and make a beeline for shore as soon as I was sheeted in fully.

Hiding in the tules

wind on sunday

Post by Hiding in the tules » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:04 pm

Hello Pablito,

You know there are places to kite from the main launch that you CAN'T see from little baja: the lake, tule jump world, upwind of the green channel marker, etc.

My wife was kiting on an 8m at the time. I went back out on 10 and had a blast in the lake.........

As always, your milage may vary.

Later, Z.

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:31 pm

It occurred to me at the time that the lake might be a more pleasant place to be kiting than in the channel...
Also, if all the kites that WERE out were hanging just a few feet off the water, I wouldn't have seen them either...

Next time it's blowing that hard, I'll pass Little Baja by and head for the sand. The plan was to join Bruce and others doing a downwinder to Windy Cove, but I gave up that idea as soon as I got into the channel.

You would have enjoyed it, though. Bruce drew a little crowd of departing kiters at the last curve before 160. He was getting more airtime than I've ever personally seen anyone get.

Paul