Is the golf bag trick still working?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
bkkowta
Contributor
Contributor
Re: Is the golf bag trick still working?

Post by bkkowta » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:12 am

we always through like a couple golf clubs in on top idk if they just laugh or are like must be some golfers... worth a try haha

kitedavis
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kitedavis » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:05 pm

No problems with Alaska to/from Maui this summer. Rules to follow: Keep the bag under 50 lbs. Prepay for your luggage online before going to the airport. Use the curbside check-in if its available. Be friendly to the ticket agents. The NSI bag has worked like this on many different airlines to Carribbean, Mexico, HI, Asia, S. Padre.

thelaserman
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by thelaserman » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:54 am

Just got back from Oahu no problems. Just checked in on line Payed the normal baggage rate and dripped it off. Just keep it under the weight restrictions

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:06 pm

I flew to La Ventana in January last year. My trip coincided with the annual Kite Expo; but the Expo event itself wasn't the reason for my trip.

When I checked in at American Airlines in SFO, the woman at the counter inquired as to the contents of my "golf" bag. It went something like this:

"What's in the bag, sir?"
"Golf Clubs" I answered.

"And if I looked inside your bag, I'd find golf clubs, correct?"
"Yes, of course."

"And the fact that there is a kiteboarding event in La Paz this week wouldn't change your answer?"
"Um...."

You get the idea. I was totally blown away that a counter agent for American Airlines in San Francisco knew about the Expo event in La Ventana. My wallet was suddenly $150 lighter.

Does the golf bag trick still work?

I think it depends...

Kirk out

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:24 am

I got dinged coming back from SPI so SF. $100 extra. Worked fine on the way there, but there are so many kiters coming and going they know.

I am going to Maui this week and want to bring my gear. Two kites and a board, and am worried about paying $150 on the way back. I am flying Hawaiian airlines directly to Maui. Does anyone know about Hawaiian Air?
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

mikelu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mikelu » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:39 pm

NCKite_Ryder wrote:I got dinged coming back from SPI so SF. $100 extra. Worked fine on the way there, but there are so many kiters coming and going they know.

I am going to Maui this week and want to bring my gear. Two kites and a board, and am worried about paying $150 on the way back. I am flying Hawaiian airlines directly to Maui. Does anyone know about Hawaiian Air?
Maui Mike here
Just flew to Maui with a golf bag and a surf board, Pre booking and prepaying on line helped out going to maui, they question the surf board on the way over but it went as additional baggage (they call it a skim board). On the way back they totally busted me, they knew what was up. But I was cool with them, apoligized about the inconvience I caused. Her response was "If you humble we will be helpfull" and charged us $ 18.00 dollars for all the gear. Be nice It works on Maui.

d.b.
Contributor
Contributor

Post by d.b. » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:42 pm

Mike- who was your airline? Was the wind good?

mikelu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mikelu » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:50 pm

Hawaian airline
I was on 7 meter fo most of the time but there were 9 meter days in there too.

jowall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jowall » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:01 pm

Southwest is definitely not uptight on the baggage policy. Never had any trouble, just have to sign a waiver in case the clubs are damaged ;-) I wish all airlines were as cool.

I went to France this summer and since kiting was only secondary on the agenda, I just brought everything BUT my board in a normal suitcase. The first kiter I asked if he had a spare board opened his van and told me to pick one of his 4 extra boards. It was totally stress free.

john

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:53 pm

mikelu wrote:
NCKite_Ryder wrote:I got dinged coming back from SPI so SF. $100 extra. Worked fine on the way there, but there are so many kiters coming and going they know.

Maui Mike here
Just flew to Maui with a golf bag and a surf board, Pre booking and prepaying on line helped out going to maui, they question the surf board on the way over but it went as additional baggage (they call it a skim board). On the way back they totally busted me, they knew what was up. But I was cool with them, apoligized about the inconvience I caused. Her response was "If you humble we will be helpfull" and charged us $ 18.00 dollars for all the gear. Be nice It works on Maui.
Thanks for the info Maui Mike. I was thinking of renting boards in Maui to be safe. Im not so confident that I can smooth talk the baggage lady like you. Seems like its a very situational type of situation. Did you stick your surfboard in the golf bag? I figure I will only kite 5 out of 9 days (as im going with the lady), and the rental will be less than 120$ for the week. I will get to try some new directionals and twins depending on the surf, have less baggage to worry about, and I wasn't planning on bringing my directional cause its a 5'10" surfboard. Maybe its a conservative move but at least my boards will be safe at home and kiting Maui has got to be @#%^@#% Priceless.

Im bringing my 10M and 7M. I've been tracking the wind there and it seems its been averaging closer to 20 than 30 recently. Does the kite beach sensor work accurately, or is it generally heavier than the reading? Stoked!
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -