ANNOUNCEMENT-Lightwind Challenge ALAMEDA 5/29 SUNDAY AFERNOO

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular
Fat Friday?

Post by andyandmarlys » Fri May 27, 2005 6:47 am

On our last fatguy challenge, we had 5-8 knots... This proved we were all too fat to really ride.... except for Jognuts who weighs about a buck forty and used a surfboard with a machine 17.5... Durring the testing... even he couldn't stay up wind well... One interesting thing learned is that none of the kites fell to the water and stayed on the water... They were all flying in 3-5 knot lulls.... Plus, I think that everyone did get up and riding in the light winds.... albeit by pumping the kite and pointing downwind....

ANYHOW FOR TODAY... The FAA forecast for Oakland Int is looking a little bit better for today (FRIDAY) and if it is blowing at least an average of 9-10mph, I will get the fat kites out, and we can do our fatguy challenge part 2.... kites in wind...

I also picked up a Cabal skimboard to add to the mix as an alternative to the LFT..... I am curious as to which board will provide a better ride in super light winds..

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Fri May 27, 2005 6:51 am

PUMPING STATS---

Before I forget

PUMPS TO GET KITE READY TO GO

Rhino 20m - 140
Machine 20.5 - 175
Contra 19.5 - 240
V4 25 - God only knows.... electric pump only..

One theory as to why the wind has been light recently, is that when we pumped up all of these fat kites, all the air in Alameda was put into these kites... As a result, no air = no wind... We apologize for this inconvienence...

Post by Guest » Fri May 27, 2005 5:21 pm

The Cabal is MUCH better for light wind!!!

J

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Sun May 29, 2005 1:26 pm

New Update--- Got the Rhino 20 and Contra 19.5 pumped up and rigged... Interested? Go to 1919 Shoreline drive... it is about 3/4 a mile downwind of the shack..... my super secret flat water at low tide spot....

I'm headed out.... flag me down if you want to ride... I also have the Machine 20.5 we can rig up if you are interested...

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Sun May 29, 2005 1:27 pm

By the way... I should be at the beach all day... until 6-7 at least...

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:03 pm

Andy,

any intermediate conclusion from your side? I was out on my 13 on suday. No way to go bigger at my weight level. I saw you guys plowing through the waves but no biiiig airs? I thought you gave the Rhino the best jumping capabilities?

CU, K

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:05 pm

The Rhino 20 could not handle the load I put on it.
It was the first of the big kites that I danced on and I immediately looked for a ramp and had a nice initial boost but was slow to get the kite around so I jammed the bar free fell a few feet and edged for the load of 20 meters ripping into the power zone.
Pling One
huh
Pling Two
kite falling out of the sky. When it was being reviewed on land the cause of the failure was the knot on the front line pigs tail sliding opening under load so the line slide off. This super loaded the second line on that side which parted at just beyond the leader at the bar. To add to the fat guy learning - when I self rescued the handles on the kite were barely big enough to get my four fingers into let alone slide my hand into.
We did not have an extra fifth line bar and were uncertain of using a four line bar on that kite (it was not our toy) so it was out for the day. To bad too since it felt nice at the outset. The Contra got lots of airtime and the Machine did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling about vertical kiting so I entered with trepidation.
Andy and I are going to put more down on paper
Oh later in the day it kicked enough for me to ride the Rhino 14 and it was giving me smooth and sweet air in modest (for a fat guy) sir.

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:49 am

" - when I self rescued the handles on the kite were barely big enough to get my four fingers into let alone slide my hand into. "

Even our fingers are too fat....

I will be writing up a more complete review this weekend, but here is the summary....

Quickest Turning and Best Jumping Potential- Rhino

Best Upwind with decent jumping - Contra

Most Strings to Pull on - Machine

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:15 am

Interestings conclusions this far guys, I'm looking forward to reading up on it more. There's nothing like real-world testing to come to legit conclusions about kites.

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:43 pm

Oh Bob it was you dragging in ealry sunday afternoon last weekend? I passed by in the car and was surprised what happend with the light wind challenge...

I am looking forward to see you full conclusion Andy. But I think right now everybody is waiting for the big showdown Alex vs Armin ( BEST vs Flysurfer) I really like the idea of competing these two guys against each other. Especially try to crash the kite as big final.

K