kite launch from boat?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Scanman
Contributor
Contributor
kite launch from boat?

Post by Scanman » Tue May 31, 2005 10:21 am

Has anyone ever lauched a kite from a boat? What's the best way to do it, have the boat take the kite to the edge of the window, or just drop it in the water and water launch it?

Thanks,
Joe

sflinux
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

boat launch

Post by sflinux » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:52 pm

If you have a 5th line it's a snap, pretty much do a drift launch. The key is how you wind and unwind your lines. You don't want to twist the bar after winding. That way you can let go of you kite and unwind your lines into the water and let them drift downstream and not have to worry about any tangles. Once the lines look cool, I would jump in the water and do a 5 line relaunch.
With a 4 line, you would want the boat to hold onto the kite and unwind the lines into the water. Then get into the water and the boat would go to the edge of the window to give you a launch. I would only do this if you trust the skipper's launching abilities.
bric

sflinux
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

boat hazards

Post by sflinux » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:50 am

I forgot to mention the hazards of boats. When kite lines are in the water, boats are a hazard. Jet skis can suck them up through the jet. Boats can wrap lines around their propellor. This is a hazard cause it could suck you up to the propellor (possibly underwater).
So if you are using a boat, I would avoid having the motor on when lines are in the water. I would also not do it if there are other boats around in the water who could travel over your lines.