Traffic from San Fran to Sherman?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
kitebored
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Traffic from San Fran to Sherman?

Post by kitebored » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:41 pm

So i'm moving to SF pretty soon and am trying to make a job schedule that allows me to kite on weekday afternoons at the delta.

My question is this... how late can i leave SF and still expect to make it to the delta in a respectable amount of time? Without traffic i can do it in just over an hour. I tried to go on the friday of memorial day weekend (stupid i know) and it took 2 1/2.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brian.

jstjohn3
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jstjohn3 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:07 pm

Be entering the Caldecott Tunnel by 2pm.

Big Al
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Big Al » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:24 pm

Have you thought about going to Crissy Field instead? You can kite almost everyday during the summer. Only a 15-20 minute drive from downtown SF. 3rd ave is another option, about 20 miles away, no bridge to deal with. There are a few other options too.

Anyhow, if you really want to go to the Delta, I would leave no later than 3pm Mon- Thurs and no later than 2pm on Friday to avoid all that traffic. You have 3 major potential bottlenecks between SF and the Detla. Bay Bridge, Highway 24 tunnel and the stretch of highway between Concord and Antioch. All of those can get really nasty anytime after 3:30 - 4pm. Estimate about 1.5 hours average time.

The cost of going to the Delta can run you $20 - $30 bucks each time ($6 bridge tolls, $4 parking, 150 miles round trip @ $2.50 / gallon = $12.50 - $20 in gas. And the worse thing is that you can get skunked after all that driving.

Just my 2 cents, but I would leave the delta for the weekends.

SPAMAN13
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SPAMAN13 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:35 am

Big Al wrote:The cost of going to the Delta can run you $20 - $30 bucks each time ($6 bridge tolls, $4 parking, 150 miles round trip @ $2.50 / gallon = $12.50 - $20 in gas. And the worse thing is that you can get skunked after all that driving.
In addition, hwy 4 (Pitsburg/Antioch area) starts to suck big, fat, hairy balls around 2:00'ish. You also have take into account accidents and what not. I commute from Antioch to the Peninsula everyday. I wont even get on the Bay Bridge until 7:30'ish on my way home just to avoid traffic.

If you want first dibs on the early morning winds, you can drive to SI on a Friday night, and spend the night in your car.
:wink:

Delta lover

when to leave

Post by Delta lover » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:12 am

John is 100% right. I would advise staying in the city....you got water+wind right there.

My top 10 reasons not to go to Sherman:
The water is dirty
The launch is sketchy
The water is choppy
The traffic is terrible
The locals are tough
It's expensive in gas+tolls
Cell reception on the island sucks
No internet connections
Rocky levy waiting to get you and your kite
Crazy currents

If you are in the city, Crissy is your call.

Later, Z.

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:42 am

If you really want to kite Sherman after work on weekdays, you should move someplace north of the Delta. Fairfield, Vacaville, and Dixon are all 1/2 hr. from Sherman. You're going against traffic to kite in the pm. No Hwy. 4 time at all.

Right Dewey?

I thought that I saw Z. at the launch at SI on Sunday, but it must have been someone else with a new baby, a daughter in a wetsuit, a directional board and a Boxer. That guy obviously hates kiting in the Delta...

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:53 am

O ya
z in the delta no way, hes a wave guy, only kites at the coast in 30 knots and 12 footers jacking on the beach!
charlie

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:12 pm

Z needs to keep kiting. My wife and I are planning to have a baby next year (after our 10 year anniversary). I tell my wife how he had a baby and still gets to kite. She's digging it, as long as she gets the baby. If I could time a October baby I shouldn't miss any kiting.
Dewey

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:20 pm

LOL now thats what I called planned perenthood.

kitebored
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitebored » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:54 pm

i kited chrissy once and i felt like i was in a washing machine. I like the chop at sherman because it all points in the same direction and you can ramp off of it...

are there any flat spots within a kiteable distance from chrissy?