Harness Recommendations Anyone?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Harness Recommendations Anyone?

Post by OliverG » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:15 pm

Last season I used a Dakine Fusion Seat Harness which was great for support and a centered pull feel, but it's been wearing out. I bought a new Dakine Nitrous Boardshorts Harness recenly and have maybe half a dozen sessions on it, but it just plain hurts by the end of a long session.

I've used waist harnesses in the past, but they never fit too good and pulled up quite a bit at times also.

But, I'm looking for change, so if anyone has any rave reviews of a great harness, waist or seat, please let me know.

Thanks,
Ollie

d.b.
Contributor
Contributor

Post by d.b. » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:38 am

I started using an 04 step in GK waist harness this year. It does not move up. Way better for me than the 03 Cabrinha waist harness, it moved up on me all the time. I like the feel of the higher hook position for toe side and transition moves but after several days in a row my back starts to feel tight and I use my old Da kine storm seat harness. I ran into another kiter who likes the 05 cabrinha waist harness. He said it has better back support than his GK did and it doesn't move up.

Talked to someone who had a new 05 dakine seat but the clip in buckle that hold the spreader bar bent within a week.

I have heard rave reviews of the MYSTIC brand but so far no one has picked up the distribution rights in the U.S. They have a hybrid seat/waist that has a higher hook position than the typical seat harness but it would cost over $200 to get it shipped from the U.K. Ouch!

Everybody has got something that works for them and with the waist harness it seems to help if you have a broad upper back. Those of us who are feeling their age like the pull of the seat harness as it helps out the lower back.

SPAMAN13
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SPAMAN13 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:20 am

I've used the impact vest/harness/floatation device(not coast guard approved) when I took my lessons at SI, they work aight. I forgot which brand it was though.

Broken Rib

Harness recommendation

Post by Broken Rib » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:08 am

Ollie - good question. It is partially about preference.

Coming from poleboarding, I love waist harness. In the waves, they offer more movement in my opinion.

I rode a Prolimit waist harness for 2 years kiting, until I broke my rib on a kite loop gone back. After this, I got the Dakine impact vest/harness combination. If you are open about going to waist, check this one out. The pros:
1. Does not ride up on you if you get right size (w/my body type, the vest DOES NOT have a chance of riding up;-)
2. Like having an impact vest in this sport: helps make new moves easier, and helps in the surf.
3. The extra floatition, although not much, is helpful when stuff goes wrong and you swim for a while.

The cons:
1. takes up more room in truck then just a harness

Good winds + waves, Zeev.

sflinux
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

dakine fusion

Post by sflinux » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:39 pm

I used to use a dakine chest harness. But half the time my back would hurt afterwards. Plus I have asthma and found that my breathing capacity was restricted by the chest harness. I switched to the Dakine Fusion 2003 and haven't looked back. That harness rocks. It took a little getting used to having the spreader bar lower, but I just extended my chicken loop, and voila, everything felt great again. Has anyone tried wearing the Dakine Fusion without the leg loops, seems like it would wear just like a non-seat back harness?

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:14 am

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback. I would be open to one of the impact vest/harness combo's. The protection sounds like an attractive feature for sure. What brand is yours Zeev?

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:30 am

Ollie

I'm in love with the Cabrina impact waist harness. It's very comfy. I wear a old outlaw neoprene vest with it so it won't ride up. I bought the harness from you, so I don't think you liked it. I guess it's all about the belly keeping it down. If they made a harness with the rebock pump then it would have a custom feel...... that's my million dollar idea for today. If anyone makes one I get 10%. One more thing we'll have to pump up!!!
Dewey

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:37 am

dewey wrote:If they made a harness with the rebock pump then it would have a custom feel...... that's my million dollar idea for today. If anyone makes one I get 10%. One more thing we'll have to pump up!!!
I think it already exists, North Air Styler Harness

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:31 am

Dakine Tabou is the shizzle for the wizzle.

Dakine impact is great if you are in to that.

Also Live2Kite has a sweet new Liquid Force impact harness.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:25 pm

dewey wrote:Ollie

I'm in love with the Cabrina impact waist harness. It's very comfy. I wear a old outlaw neoprene vest with it so it won't ride up. I bought the harness from you, so I don't think you liked it. I guess it's all about the belly keeping it down. If they made a harness with the rebock pump then it would have a custom feel...... that's my million dollar idea for today. If anyone makes one I get 10%. One more thing we'll have to pump up!!!
I liked it well enough, but it was just a size too big for me, I never got it dialed in, not that you should have to dial in a harness. It was just too big. :|