Who's going to Alameda tomorrow?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Scanman
Contributor
Contributor
Who's going to Alameda tomorrow?

Post by Scanman » Fri May 27, 2005 4:15 pm

I might be out bodydragging if I get my new kite tomorrow. If you see a guy out there with no board, you don't need to help me look for it. :)
I might need some help double checking my setup and giving me some tips on the rules of Alameda. I'll try to get as much info as possible before I go so I'll be better prepared.
Thanks for helping out a noob.

Joe

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Fri May 27, 2005 4:26 pm

will be there

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Fri May 27, 2005 4:37 pm

I'm going to try to make it if the forecast looks ok.

I'm new too, here is what I've been doing. If anyone notices something incorrect let me know!

If you're at the shack where the benches are, and looking out toward the water, this is where you should pump up your kite, and leave it if you're not going to be using it. (Or on the grass)

When you're pumped up (you, and the kite), you can move it into the launch/landing area to rig up, which should be marked between some cones / signs. I think this area starts a little beyond the shack. You should only be doing this if you intend to go out right away, don't setup your lines and then go have lunch.

Be careful not to rig too far down the beach, this area is supposed to be left open for the BoardSports school.

There was a thread of discussion that pipedragon started offering his advice on how to rig your lines. You may want to find that and read it over. Rig however you feel most comfortable, or how you were instructed, if KWS it was probably to have your kite upwind of your bar.

Definitely have someone check your lines when you're confident they're right. I still take way too long setting up my lines, I always and up tracing the lines and attaching a couple at a time and triple checking everything, but getting more confident each time. I had my trainer get into a death spiral and that was difficult enough to deal with, don't want to see that happen to anyone with a larger kite!

p.s. something else I've been doing is once I get the kite in the air, and ideally over the water, I walk out past the flagged hazards either on the beach or close to shore. You don't want to step on those rocks, or worse get dragged into the larger stuff. Look for the Alameda Guidelines on this site, there are some pictures showing stuff during a very low tide.

Scanman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Scanman » Fri May 27, 2005 4:41 pm

Cool, thanks for the tip!

Post by Guest » Sun May 29, 2005 4:34 am

I will be there too, does anyone know how to help landing a big foil (I always have to do it myself :( )

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Sun May 29, 2005 7:29 am

Anonymous wrote:I will be there too, does anyone know how to help landing a big foil (I always have to do it myself :( )
Want to let everyone know? I landed a PL, and I was told to grab the batten and walk toward the bar, then dump some sand on it once it is resting on the ground.

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Sun May 29, 2005 12:43 pm

foil-Guest,

theybasically they know that they have to grab the wingtip first and run against the wind. But clarify that first and give clear instructions! Not everybody is familiar with them. What are you taking out today?

CU, K

Post by Guest » Sun May 29, 2005 10:10 pm

Its a flysurfer. Same idea as the peter lynn, but there is no batten.

You just grab the tip and walk upwind until all the lines are loose, or better walk half way the length of the lines. Then hold the tip to the ground and wait for the rider to come and take it.

The FS is easy to self land, but it has a habit of pulling on the ground and sliding sideways into the center. I do it myself on OB where there is a lot of space, but Alameda is packed and tight. I was there today and saw some pretty scary stuff. A guy launched with the valves not closed properly (they opened immediately) and in the second try got dragged on his belly a good distance.

bhsu24
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bhsu24 » Mon May 30, 2005 8:45 am

Nice I see there are other foil riders out there in the bay!!! I just purchased a PL Venom 13m the other day but :( it hasnt arived yet so i wont be out today on my foil but i will be out there on my LEI. hope to see you there Josh.
Bryan

Post by Guest » Mon May 30, 2005 4:16 pm

The thing I like most in the PL kites is the auto zenith. So nice that you can take your hands off and relax, knowing that the kite is not going anywhere.