Advice For Hawaii Big Island 1week & Kauai 1week June 20th

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
flyingpaddy
Contributor
Contributor
Advice For Hawaii Big Island 1week & Kauai 1week June 20th

Post by flyingpaddy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:09 pm

So we are heading to Hawaii (Big Isl) on June 20th (This sat) for one week and then heading to Kauai for another week.
Were going to be staying in Kona on the big Island and staying at Princeville on Kauai.
We will have a car on both Islands

Now I know (from what I've been reading)the other Islands are better but going to them is not an option on this trip.

I have been looking for info on both Isl but haven't been able to come up with too much. I found some old posts here and there and found one or two schools on both. but not too much info.

Just wondering if anyone has kited on these islands recently. Just looking for any tips on spots, conditions, what kites to bring (i was hoping to get away with 2 kites) etc for either Islands at this time of year.

I really want to go kiting.

My stats: Intermediate kiter, 175lbs, riding 135 twintip, very little wave riding experience, quiver 7m,9m,11m,13m Bandits.

Any tips would be great

Thanks
Twood b worse if da Ass died and da Turf in da Bog!!!!

Keep Her Lit!!!!!!

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Re: Advice For Hawaii Big Island 1week & Kauai 1week June 20th

Post by WindMuch » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:17 pm

My wife recently did a triathlon on the Big Island (I stayed home with the kids), but I did a bit of sniffing around to see if there was much of a kite scene there.

Here's one (discouraging) post I found (from 2008): http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=5642

(begin paste)

"Of all the islands in Hawaii, kite surfing on Big Island is the most difficult, dangerous and challenging. First, BI doesn't have any real beaches, so you have to launch off razor sharp lava rocks. Second, the Kona side of the island is in the Lee of two 14,000 foot volcanos, so the only winds Kona gets are winter storms and thermals. And third, the few guys I know who kite BI only kite the thermals and in order to do this you have to really know your local weather patterns. If you screw up and go outside the thermal effect, next stop is Tahiti. Seriously, the waters to the West of Kona are known as the Alinui Ha Ha Channel, one of the most treacherous and dangerous stretches of water on the planet (normal channel conditions are near-hurricane winds and seas year round). Kitesurfing BI is for expert kiters only and then only with the guidance of someone with local knowledge. I lived on BI for a year with my wife's family while we were living in Hawaii and have enormous respect for the local watermen. I'm a pretty experienced surfer, but got the sh*t kicked out of me on numerous occasions on BI.

Keep in mind that BI is the youngest of the islands and it is by no means an amusement park. Even hiking on BI can become deadly. There were some euro tourists that were hiking the volcano area a couple years back. They must have ventured a bit too far off the main trail because their bodies were found a couple days later, their bodies had been "cooked".

BTW, there is no where on the island to kite mountain board, in fact, there really isn't anywhere in the state to do it.

So what to do on Big Island? For me, I kick back with my brother inlaws and drink beer a lot... Seriously, sight seeing on the island is awesome. There are three ways to get to Hilo on the other side of the island that are worth seeing: The North route takes you past the Hamakua Coast, one of the prettiest coastlines on the planet. The South route takes you past the volcanoes and South Point, definitely worth the trip. The middle route (old "saddle back road") takes you up in elevation between the two volcanoes. Drive slow on this one, you don't want to get in an accident up there! You used to be able to take a 4x4 up to the summit of Mauna Kea (elev. 14,000 feet) but they may have closed the access road. It's a rough drive, but very cool. Bring sweaters / winter clothes if you attempt this. It will likely be below freezing up there.

Visit Hilo and see how Big Island used to be. Wednesday is the farmer's market, be sure to buy some local papaya and "apple bananas". The best fresh fruit and vegetables I've ever eaten.

The deep sea fishing off Kona is the best in the state. A guy snagged a 600 pound Ahi (yellow fin tuna) while I was there.

If you absolutely have to try to kite there, drop me an email and I'll put you in touch with some guys who do it there. But unless you're really comfortable with your kite and ocean survival skills, you'd be better off either not even trying or flying to Maui for a day to do it."

(end paste)

Maybe the kiting there is so unreal, this poster was trying to keep non-locals away. It's working for me!

Kirk out

stone
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stone » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:43 pm

WindMuch wrote: ...you'd be better off either not even trying or flying to Maui for a day to do it."
This. Spent 9 days on Maui a couple weeks ago and was so in the zone there when I got back felt like I had just moved to SF. If you can manage the day trip it is so worth it--when you walk to the curb of the airport arrivals area the wind hits you like you stepped out of your car on a good day at Sherman. Kanaha beach launches are 10 minutes drive from the airport.

If you can work an inter-island ticket do it. Bring the 7 and the 9. I weigh 185 and my 8 nearly took my arm off riding the break (yeah, was an error on my part). If you want to stay overnight check out this place, very kite friendly, meaning they have hoses to rinse your gear, the place is safe, and they have tons of lawn and clotheslines you can use to dry gear: http://www.peaceofmaui.com .

I might go back there for my mid-winter fix instead of going to LV--no US customs on the way back.

loserdavies
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by loserdavies » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:46 am

I have kited Kauai twice the last two years. There are spots and it is fun but you need to be self sufficient. Ikitesurf has sensors on the island and they are helpful. Only one spot I know up near princeville everything else is south of there. The spot up north is called Cannons (Experienced kiters only). Then there are spots near Kapaa which are nice (near Lydgate state park). There is one spot in Poipu. Once you get there follow the road east until it turns into a dirt road then take the dirt road until you reach a beach (couple of miles) nice spot to ride. If you go on Ikitesurf and ask for info you will get a response from a guy telling you to pay someone to show you around. A little different from what I am used to here. I never did it with a little effort you can find most of the spots. good luck.

eag
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by eag » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:54 am

Yeah. Big Island is super limited. There is one beach N of Kona, down a rough lava road. I can't remember the name but it's JUST north of the airport.

Kauai has way better options. Starting in the South and depending on wind direction are:
Barking Sands beach (really far from Princeville),
Kawailoa Bay (nice wave spot down a dirt road E of Poipu Hyatt, dangerous reef)

YOUR BEST BETS WILL BE:
Waipoli beach in Kaapa (protected from waves)
Anini beach (this will be your best bet, just east of princeville. protected flatwater, good for intermediate)
Tunnels (the windiest spot on Kauai, also the most dangerous. Waves on a razor sharp reef, slight side-off wind, some mellower water east of the reef. This is the spot where that teenage pro surfer girl lost her arm to a huge Tiger shark) If you're comfortable at OB and Waddell you should check this out. It's one of the most beautiful spot in world.

Just wait for/look for locals and what they do. I asked for advice in every spot and local were super nice.

perukite
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by perukite » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:01 am

I was just in Kauai this March.

Good advice so far from people who have posted.

Kauai is a tricky place and without a doubt a more advanced kiting spot.

My experience was as follows with the various spots:

Princeville: Tunnels - way advanced wave riding spot. Unless you are 100% on your game in waves - avoid this spot.

Anini Beach Park (near Princeville): This place is beautiful and a wonderful beach. Flat water protected by a razor sharp reef (read: a very defined riding area). I showed up here one day and there was wind, but no other kiters out. Also the beach is narrow for launching and lots of civilians enjoying the beach. I did go up to some windsurfers to ask the inside scoop here with kiting - and basically got told (In a passive agressive manner) that people do kite here but it's not reccomended due to the windsurfers and the people on the beach. They told me to go to baby beach in Kapaa and then walked away. Respect the locals.....

Kapaa Beach (behind burger king, also called baby beach) This is probably the most consistent and kite friendly spot on Kauai. Nothing really great about it actually and the wind is onshore.

Mahalepu Beach (near Poipu) - you need to go here for the day anyways just to enjoy it, my fovorite spot on Kauai. Again, very complicated spot with reefs, a very narrow channel to get out at, open water and waves. The local kiters were nice enough here, but they without a doubt emphasize that if your skill is not up - don't mess around or you will get thumped.

In short, Kauai is such a beautiful island with so much to see and do and explore - that I would leave the kites at home and just enjoy the island. I found that I wasted a ton of time driving around the island trying to find the right palce to kite (wind, tide, friendly atmosphere) as I felt I needed to use my gear since I brought it. I would have been a ot more content to have taken this out of the equation and enjoyed the island more fully.

If you want to kite, do a specific trip to Maui.

The Big Island sounds even more complicated than Kauai.

flyingpaddy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by flyingpaddy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:25 pm

Thanks for the guys the info
Windmuch I had red That post of kiteforum a while back and that is what got me worried too. I have pretty much ruled out the big Island, we will be busy anyways with family and all that.

I'm still hoping to do some in Kauai but it seems the most viable.

I think I will bring my gear maybe ill get out at baby beach,or Anini beach. Thanks to the other posters for the spots and locations.
I now have a much better idea of what to expect.
I am all about safety first if i'm not sure I wont risk It. I also don't want to piss anyone off. If conditions are good and I think I can handle it ill give it a lash if not I can live without kiting for a coupla weeks.
I hear both Islands are great anyways even without kiting.

Thanks
Twood b worse if da Ass died and da Turf in da Bog!!!!

Keep Her Lit!!!!!!