A q for y'all

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
A q for y'all

Post by Guest » Tue May 24, 2005 8:43 am

My friends introduced me to kiteboarding last year. Since then, I have been flying the trainer kite, did all the prerequisites prior to taking land and water lessons. To make the story short, I had land and water lessons this week. The land lesson went well, but the water lesson didnít. I was tossed around like a rag doll. The question is, should I take another water lesson, or Iíll just remember what I have learned and teach them my self.

I guess I need more water confidence (waves slamming into my face).

Scanman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Scanman » Tue May 24, 2005 10:05 am

I just had my land and water lesson this weekend too. I would say if you're still not comfortable being on your own, take another lesson. It can be expensive, but well worth the safety and security you get with a Jet ski support. Did you have Jet ski support for your water lesson this weekend? I think that made me feel much safer than doing it from land, even though the swells sometimes got bigger than I liked. Got a little woozy towards the end of my lesson. =)

Joe

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Tue May 24, 2005 4:01 pm

Guest,
I really don't understand how you think you are ready to be on your own if you are getting worked on the water. Did you even get up on the board? Was your water lesson just a body drag? You need to take lessons untill you can stay on your board consistently. You can work on staying up wind by yourself. In conclusion, I feel it would be a very bad idea to stop your lessons with the info you have provided.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Tue May 24, 2005 6:20 pm

Whatever you do, stay away from land and other people tell you've got good controll over your kite.
L.M.G.

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Tue May 24, 2005 6:54 pm

DO NOT teach yourself at this phase of the game. After about a dozen times (or less) you'll be riding on your own and staying upwind I'll bet.
Go bigga'

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Tue May 24, 2005 7:12 pm

After a lesson you should be able to have control of your kite. You instructor should make sure of that until you can fly a kite and bodydrag. That's what your paying for. If you can't control the kite the look else where for a lesson. Try a water lesson at sherman. Once you get up on the board you could do a down winder.
Dewey

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Tue May 24, 2005 9:08 pm

If you want more land practice practice with a real power kite that can pull hard, and learn controlling it under power. I have flown power kites on both handle and bar, andn in my first lesson I was tossed around all over the place, but the kite never hit the water. Learn to control the kite in any position of your body, meaning your side to the kite with one hand, your back to the kite (with a harness) and so on. Mountain board is not a bad idea too.

Ken
Contributor
Contributor

more lessons..

Post by Ken » Tue May 24, 2005 9:53 pm

I strongly suggest another water lesson. If you are on the Alameda side, Check out Jeff and Emily at kitewindsurf in alameda ( by the beach) . My friend took a lesson with them ( Jetski assisted) & he said they were good. After you can control the kite comfortably and stay on the board for more than 30 seconds, then start teaching yourself. It just takes time on the water. Once you get past the basics, the learning curve goes pretty fast and you should be staying upwind and jumping.

kitedancer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitedancer » Tue May 24, 2005 10:45 pm

Hello,

My 2 cents...

I spent a lot of time flying my trainer kite (to the point that I never want to fly another one), then took a water lesson & now spending a lot time bodydragging - I do plan on taking another lesson to get up on the board - my last water lesson I was almost there-But did not do so due to the fact that the moment I tried getting on the board I lost control of the kite.

Do you know why you were being tossed around in the water? If not ask your instructor.

and yeah, there are people who learn quickly, or painfully :)

Ciao,
Katrina

D
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by D » Wed May 25, 2005 6:24 pm

I agree with Dewey, quit the lessons after learning to control the kite and body drag in the water.

I had a bad experience learning at Alameda Kite and Wind Surf. My first water lesson ended up with me under the bay bridge self-rescuing, using a Cabrihna recon that did not deploy because the wind was "too light." I was winding up the lines fighting a powered kite, getting tangled in the lines, right next to the bridge tower, in a big flood.

A tugboat pulls up and tells us to get out of the construction zone ... the new bay bridge construction zone!

I cannot imagine a more inappropriate place to learn kiteboarding!

First time on your own, grab your board and practice water starts. You'll get plenty of practice body dragging back to your board. For me at least, body dragging was a no-brainer.

Be safe, wear a helmet, etc.