lessons

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.
raymond kruse
lessons

Post by raymond kruse » Tue May 24, 2005 8:45 am

hi everyone, im wondering if anyone knows of lessons i can take around marin or san francisco. im new to the sport and would like lessons before i choose which equipment to purchase.any info would be cool. email raymondkruse@comcast.net. thanks the crazy kiwi

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Tue May 24, 2005 9:20 am

If you will be learning in the bay area, you should consider Kite Wind Surf or BoardSports. Both are based out of Alameda.

The difference is that Kite Wind Surf will take you by PWC to where the wind is, and the water lesson will take place out in the middle of the bay. This is safer as there is no land around should things go wrong. You're also less likely to get skunked by the wind.

BoardSports teaches at Crowne Beach. The benefit there is that I'm guessing (I took my lesson with KWS) that they will teach you the guidelines for that beach, which you will likely be spending your initial sessions there.

I think they're both priced pretty closely. KWS offers $100 off a Kite/board package, not sure if BoardSports does.

Take a look at www.kitewindsurf.com and www.boardsports.com.

Good choice on getting lessons before purchasing equipment.

Seeya at Alameda!

Cheers,
Josh

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Tue May 24, 2005 4:08 pm

raymond. I would say go with a lesson at Sherman island. You are more likely to get wind there than alameda which is sortof important for this sport.
I highly recommend Edge Kiteboarding 775-721-1132. Call Nat and see what he has to say.

Blair

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Tue May 24, 2005 6:12 pm

Yup, Sherman is the best place for the downwinder-lesson-with-boat-thing. There's another outfit doing lessons called K'itopia and they are also nice folks. (www.kitopia.net or .biz I believe)
Go bigga'

gomez71
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gomez71 » Tue May 24, 2005 7:52 pm

I have Taken two lessons at Kitopia. Sandy and Donnie are awsome,
You can reach them at kitopia.biz.

Tell them Robert sent you

Robert

sharperlooking

passion for kitboarding

Post by sharperlooking » Mon May 30, 2005 10:37 pm

Hi
My grandson is a 10 year old who loves kitboarding and wants to take Beginner Lessons with an excellent kiteboarding instructor, would anyone know of a school or a good instructor that I could contact.

Kindest Regards

Linda Hunter

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: passion for kitboarding

Post by OliverG » Tue May 31, 2005 7:18 am

sharperlooking wrote:Hi
My grandson is a 10 year old who loves kitboarding and wants to take Beginner Lessons with an excellent kiteboarding instructor, would anyone know of a school or a good instructor that I could contact.

Kindest Regards

Linda Hunter
Scott at KiteWindSurf in Alameda comes to mind as someone who would be a great instructor to teach him.

www.kitewindsurf.com

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:28 pm

Ditto
Scott would be perfect for teaching a 10 year old.
He is the biggest kid I know, a talented instructor who focuses on saftey and can communicate one idea in many ways. Having Fun is an automatic for him too. All that and he just came home with a first and a third at the nationals in Texas. And from a PWC anywhere is a long downwinder in wind.

For disclosure I've been teaching on the water for longer than Scott is old (and he is not that young) and have worked with him as a PASA instructor at KWS for the last couple of years. So yeah I'm biased but confident in the recommendation as well.