Light wind showdown??

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
pipedragon
Regular
Regular
Light wind showdown??

Post by pipedragon » Mon May 23, 2005 12:21 pm

Are we gonna get this one going or what. I am ready to settle this once and for all. From what I heard there will be a Contra, Machine, Rhino and possibly a hellfish in the mix. Hopefully a Torch as well. Anyone got more info on dates and times. I think Alameda is the place. I heard Ryan R. from the kiteboarder is getting involved. Gabe, any info?? This will be fun.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: Light wind showdown??

Post by OliverG » Mon May 23, 2005 8:21 pm

pipedragon wrote:Are we gonna get this one going or what. I am ready to settle this once and for all. From what I heard there will be a Contra, Machine, Rhino and possibly a hellfish in the mix. Hopefully a Torch as well. Anyone got more info on dates and times. I think Alameda is the place. I heard Ryan R. from the kiteboarder is getting involved. Gabe, any info?? This will be fun.
I'd like to hear more info about this as well, if it is actually in the works. I've been so stoked on the Rage II's and Outrages, I haven't spent a whole lot of time on the Raptures, but hear they're great light wind kites also. If anyone knows any more about it, let's hear from them. I'll ask Ryan R.

Ollie

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Its on....

Post by andyandmarlys » Mon May 23, 2005 8:51 pm

The Fatguy Lightwind Challenge:

GOAL:

To see fat people riding HUGE kites in as little wind as possible.... Fat people make bigger splashes...

KITES:
I now have in my possession a 19.5m Contra, a 20m Rhino, and a 20.5m Machine. If you can bring your fatty along, they are welcome to participate too.

The real goal, to test out and try the ultimate light wind kites side by side.

WHEN???

How about starting tomorrow evening Tuesday 5/24 at Alameda. If it doesn't work out tomorrow, I will try Wednesday and Thursday....I just got all the kites rounded up... but they need to go back to the companies soon...

I will not be available until 7:00, but perhaps Bob could help out earlier...... What do you say Bob?

Boards... Bring your board... We will have different boards to try... but be sure to try all 3 kites on the same board so you can have a direct comparison...

WHO?

Anyone 180lbs"ish" or more with proven upwind kite skills.. No sense riding these kites if you are lighter weight, or can't yet go upwind... Ok... so I am a Fattist....

Questions???? PM or give me a call at 510-205-4857

Also you can give Kitewindsurf a call to ask the status of the event... (510) 522-WIND(9463)

BONUS:

On Wednesday Night Fatties and Friends are invited to gather at Linguini's on Park Street. $6 All You Can Eat Pizza and Soda
Last edited by andyandmarlys on Mon May 23, 2005 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: Its on....

Post by OliverG » Mon May 23, 2005 9:56 pm

andyandmarlys wrote:The Fatguy Lightwind Challenge:

BONUS:

On Wednesday Night Fatties and Friends are invited to gather at Linguini's on Park Street. $6 All You Can Eat Pizza and Soda
Even if no one kites, you may have done wonders for their business, that sounds like a great deal to me.

To qualify for the testing, can I strap on 10 pounds of ballast?

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Mon May 23, 2005 10:08 pm

Maybe a lead scuba belt.... It'll give you incentive not to crash.... Maybe after the pizza challange you will be ready for the fatguy challenge... Seriously though... if you think you can ride 20's and have a good time.. you are more than welcome..

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Mon May 23, 2005 10:36 pm

And be able to tip the scales of injustice....

If folk look out at you on a windy day and go down six kite sizes from whatever you are on to ride than you have (more than) what it takes!

For example: Bob on 18 minus 6 = NBG on a 12

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Tue May 24, 2005 7:02 am

The secret weapon for the challenge is "pumping" up with helium. Your welcome.

Blair

marina

Fat Boy Challenge is NOT THE KITEBOARDER MAGAZINE TEST

Post by marina » Tue May 24, 2005 9:13 am

hi Everyone,

There seems to be some confusion re: these two tests. The Fat Boy Challenge is a local San Francisco event that coincidentally timed with someone leaking that The Kiteboarder Magazine will be conducting a light wind kite test i.e. these two tests are NOT THE SAME.

The Kiteboarder's "Take the Tech Out of Gear Testing" is targeted to take place the second week of June, depending on wind. We have a team of consumers already lined up and are currently gathering gear and coordinating logistics. Full details will be available here in the next few days. This test is being done in coordination with Kiteforum. Thanks to Toby and the riders for all your great suggestions. You've been asking for this for quite some time and The Kiteboarder and Kiteforum.com are going to deliver!

FYI, the July issue of The Kiteboarder Mag just shipped on Friday! We'll be posting the new FREE PDF download here. In the meantime, here is our April issue http://www.theringmedia.com/KBMAG/Banne ... pril05.pdf. All current and back issue are available for free in PDF format at www.kbmag.com.

Please let us know the results of your test:-)

Enjoy!

Marina
The Kiteboarder Magazine