Anyone got a bike i can have for parts?

All Off-Topic items not related to kiting can be posted here. Please post all For Sale items in the Classifieds Ads section.
Forum rules
Please post all For Sale items in the Classified Ads section. Thank you.
windhorny
Old School
Old School
Anyone got a bike i can have for parts?

Post by windhorny » Wed May 19, 2010 1:47 pm

I am making a bicycle powered cart to keep at 3rd so 2 people can ride them and their equipment from the lower to upper launch.

stone
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone got a bike i can have for parts?

Post by stone » Wed May 19, 2010 2:04 pm

Can you add a pump adapter so you can put the cart up on a kickstand and the cycling action runs the pump? None of those new-fangled whiny EE-lectric pumps for me.

I might have an old bike for you, but I've got a feeling it'll be rusted to hell after sitting on a buddy's balcony for 4 years. I'll find out Thursday night.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed May 19, 2010 2:21 pm

Thats funny, i was thinking about doing the exact same thing. I was wondering how to make a human powered pump that didnt use a conventional compressor. we need high volume low pressure. If anyone has a simple clever way of doing ,this like bellows, let me know.

stone
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stone » Wed May 19, 2010 2:34 pm

Maybe a setup like a steam locomotive driver wheel, except operating in reverse? Instead of a piston, an old kite pump, and the turning wheel drives the pump.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed May 19, 2010 3:15 pm

good idea. i think thats it!

Only thing is when someone drives this up to the upper, it will not be able to make it down the rocks. So i think it might be obsolete on the bike. but it would be fun to make one for the lower launch and sherman.

i might have a bike or 2 coming up here, so no bigge if that one doesnt work.

Thanks

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Wed May 19, 2010 4:49 pm

we need high volume low pressure. If anyone has a simple clever way of doing ,this like bellows, let me know.

why not just take advantage of the gearing? shift it into a low gear in order to do higher pressure, shift it into high gear to get more volume...

seems like you could just convert an old piston style air compressor yah? buy an old air compressor and just swap out the electric motor for the bike axle? something like that...

you would need to keep the air reservoir, because you can't very well sit on the bike AND hole the pump tube and check the pressure in the kite. it'd be easier to bike for 2 minutes, and then go over and let all the air out...you know?

this thing would be awesome! let me know if you need help!
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Wed May 19, 2010 8:01 pm

You need a low volume air pump, not an air compressor. I have one on an implement I bought at an auction...they're about the size of a shoe box. Runs off a small engine, but you could make an adapter to connect the driveshaft to a bike somehow instead.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed May 19, 2010 8:43 pm

Paul you got a picture of it or tell me where to look at one? I was even wondering how a smog air pump form a car would work.