Beginner: did I get taken at a swap meet??

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
onda
Joey
Joey
Beginner: did I get taken at a swap meet??

Post by onda » Mon May 23, 2005 9:46 am

I went to the Helm Swap meet this past weekend and got what I thought was a great deal on two used 2004 Nitro Cabrinha sails (10, 14).

Then I told that to a buddy and he said "those are high aspect sails, not for beginners." Looking on the internet, most articles point that way; I could not find a single article that said a beginnner could learn on a high-aspect kite.

I told the seller I had never been in the water, only a land lesson, and I know about aspect, but stupidly forgot at the time to ask.

From what I'm reading, high aspect is out of fashion as well, even with the pros, as mid-aspect can now do most of what high can without the sensitivity.

What's my prognosis? Required to get another sail? I'm planning on taking lessons, and I'm athletic and water knowledgable, but am I setting myself up for a steeper learning curve unless I spend the money? Should I spend the money on more lessons or just a mid-aspect kite?

Thanks for the guidance.

Getssum
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Getssum » Mon May 23, 2005 11:13 am

No problem to learn on high aspect. I actually own those two kites and really like them. Get to know your recon system very well, as i imagine you will be using it quite a lot as a beginner, at least for relaunch. Many of the reasons that people say don't go to high aspect for your kites revolve around relaunching, but with recon, it won't be much of an issue. It is an advanced kite, for sure, but you will progress on it. I would look into adding a bypass leash ( about 15$ ) to ensure that the kite stays attached to you.

If you have any other questions, let us know!

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Mon May 23, 2005 11:46 am

Getssum is right. They are only a problem with the relaunch but with recon and having a bit smaller kites you should be fine.

onda
Joey
Joey

Post by onda » Mon May 23, 2005 12:26 pm

Ah, is the difficulty in relaunch because they are longer and thinner (what I understand to be the meaning of aspect: length/width)?

I keep hearing that high-aspect kites are harder to handle, more sensitive to usuer input. Is that not true, or only relatively so, not really quantitatively?

Thanks for the info.

Getssum
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Getssum » Mon May 23, 2005 1:14 pm

Right, the higher the aspect. the longer and thinner the kite.

The kites will not turn as fast as the low aspect, but you will learn to fly them. If you are going straight from a trainer to water lesson to these, you will notice a difference in them from the water lesson kite, but you still should be able to fly and control them easier.

A couple of tips for any beginner, regardless of kite

1. Always think one or two steps ahead.
For instance. when you are about to start, I'm going to dive the kite, get up on the board, plant my edge, and fly the kite back up in the window.

Or when moving the kite up and down in the window (sining) Kite's going down, i want it to start going up soon, so i steer it back up.

I flew a newer North Vegas 05 in the Chrissy to Berkeley Downwinder earlier this month, and I did find it a quicker turning kite than my 14 Nitro. that said, however, it is a much lower aspect which usually turn faster than higher aspect.

kies

Post by kies » Mon May 23, 2005 4:47 pm

You're FINE.
I learned on a 2-line kite. in 35 mph maui winds. Never have I been in worse conditions with such a difficult kite...which means I am prepared for anything and it only got easier with practice and time. Learn the basics and learn safety. Mid aspect will treat you well when you decide to do Kite-loops.

High aspect is fine (It's all i own).
Depower and relaunch were concerns, and the recon negates that. PLUS, you want to be able to go up wind...much easier with a high aspect. My wife rides high aspect...lots of girls do.

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Mon May 23, 2005 10:27 pm

Breathe Easy.
No Worries.
You will learn to love em.

Go Get Wet and Have Fun!
Those are great kites!