Florida To Bahamas Crossing 2005

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
ricki
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Florida To Bahamas Crossing 2005

Post by ricki » Mon May 23, 2005 5:52 am

X-RATED BAHAMA KITE RACE 2005
November 28th to Dec 12th

Hutchinson Enterprises and X-ratedkiteboarding is proud to present the first ever long distance kiteboarding race, from the US to the Bahamas. This is the first of its kind, setting it apart from the usual repetitive format of freestyle jumps and tricks. There will be a maximum of 50 athletes permitted to enter the event all of which will be starting together and racing to Bimini in the Bahamas. This format will make for very unique and exciting footage for magazines, video and television while making history in the worlds fastest growing sport. Dozens of kiteboarders racing forward as athletes surf into another country, through the Bermuda Triangle and across the blue waters of one of the largest currents in the world. This is sure to set the event apart from other more routine water sports events. The distance between Ft. Lauderdale Inlet and the island of Biminiís inlet is 49 nautical miles. Interest is being shown from teams from various parts of the world to take part in this unique event. Participants and sponsors are invited to learn more about
this challenging crossing.

More at:
http://fksa.org/viewforum.php?f=73

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon May 23, 2005 6:01 am

Wow,

This looks like one challenging event. Eat your Wheaties before this one!

Getssum
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Getssum » Mon May 23, 2005 8:06 am

Almost makes the Chrissy to Berkeley Downwinder look tame by comparison!!

ricki
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ricki » Mon May 23, 2005 4:17 pm

Yes, that ain't the half of it. I ran a powerboat back across to Florida when I was 16 in 8 to 12 ft. following seas surfing using the throttles all the way. Now heading into it, on purpose?! It should be a trip!

This just in from Skypilot:

This just in from another forum, skypilot.com

Quote:

On 2005-05-23 17:55, skypilot wrote:
Hey Rick,

I think I might come down for that! Are there opportunities to ride on safety boats so I can take photos and record the race for the Skypilot crew?

Let me know - p.s the harness arrived - thanks!

Dan

Hello Dan,

It is still early. It sort of went from concept to incipent plan in the last two weeks or so as Neil is healing from his leg injury. I imagine there will be quite a few boats, one for each team and then one for sponsors and interested parties. Still spaces may be limited and putting something like this on is going to cost some money. It should be well worth it.

Here's an idea, Neil tells me that Toby of kiteforum is thinking over putting together a kiteforum team, some guys on the central east coast of the USA are doing the same, etc. Why not put together at Skypilot, NW USA/SW Canadian team? I am thinking about putting together an FKA team just to be able to go and perhaps cross by kite.

I suggested this over five years ago when they thought the idea was nuts. Things have changed and it should be interesting!

This is an unique opportunity for participants and sponsors alike. I have been crossing the Straits to the Bahamas for a long time since highschool. It has always been something to look forward to. The seas may cook off this time with the seasonal winds blowing into the Florida Current, better to be on a board! It should be memorable.