found cheap board fins !

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
knyfe
Resident
Resident
found cheap board fins !

Post by knyfe » Sat May 21, 2005 1:14 pm

recently I lost 2 fins in one day after I traveled with my board. As the $20 per fin which will be $80 for a complete set was way to much for my old board I ordered the cheap plastic ones from Tracker for $4.50 a piece. They are really good and solid. Go for them if you just like to try different shapes...

http://www.omnitech-engineering.com/fins/

Good winds, Knyfe

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: found cheap board fins !

Post by OliverG » Sun May 22, 2005 9:46 am

knyfe wrote:recently I lost 2 fins in one day after I traveled with my board. As the $20 per fin which will be $80 for a complete set was way to much for my old board I ordered the cheap plastic ones from Tracker for $4.50 a piece. They are really good and solid. Go for them if you just like to try different shapes...

http://www.omnitech-engineering.com/fins/

Good winds, Knyfe
Keep in mind, in this case, you get what you pay for. The plastic fins will easily dent on the edges, disturbing the foil shape. As far as fins go, no substitute for G-10 epoxy. Spend a little extra now and you get much more use out of them in the long run. Just my two cents worth....

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sun May 22, 2005 11:08 am

I also heard that they viberate more, and give the board a funny feel when powered up. Don't know if it's true, maybe the guys who make the G-10 fins started that rumor. I found the Best fins to be pretty good at $40 a set.

Ollie, You get what you pay for..... Best and Windwing are both good kites that cost less than others. You can get more for less, just be a good consumer.
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun May 22, 2005 11:50 am

dewey wrote:I also heard that they viberate more, and give the board a funny feel when powered up. Don't know if it's true, maybe the guys who make the G-10 fins started that rumor. I found the Best fins to be pretty good at $40 a set.

Ollie, You get what you pay for..... Best and Windwing are both good kites that cost less than others. You can get more for less, just be a good consumer.
Yes, the Best fins are G10 epoxy and solid, likely made for Best b Rainbow. I have them from last year on both my LMG boards and they're bomber.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sun May 22, 2005 12:16 pm

Ollie what are you doing on your computer. I though I would see you out on the water today. Sherman is going off!!! I'm leaving in a few!!!!
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun May 22, 2005 12:35 pm

Yes, it looks like Sherman is going off, hmm, I'll make up my mind soon, maybe I'll see you there if I'm up for the drive.

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Sun May 22, 2005 9:29 pm

Ollie, as Dewey already mentioned "the consumer decides". We both bought our Yargas last year and the were fine. But I just like to add here in the forum that there are other fins out there which are not in a shop as they wount make any money with them! Due to that, I as a consumer, just didnt had the choice. Therefore its interesting for the other users too.

Qualitywise I dont make me a big head. I can ride down ! 4 ! complete sets of fins for the same price like one set of G10s from a shop. May be you have an better access to the G10s then I do. Let me know, I am willing to change ;-))) but to be honest, they are really good for that price.

Dewey: No way a 1.5" long fin will vibrate at my speed! I am just a standard kiter / jumper, not a super racer. I remember bad fins from windsurfing which threw you out of your way just at the best speed. But they were way longer than the kite fins and mine normally in a bad shape. I think you were right, its a G10 roumor ;-)

Thnx for that great wind out there today, K

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sun May 22, 2005 11:23 pm

knyfe,

I almost bought them 2 years ago. When I did research on them that's what I read. I have never tried them. To be honest I've seen home made fins that seem to work fine. Plastic and fiberglass. I'm not to sure what G10's are. Last year I tried to buy slingshot fins, but the shop told me they were crap, and would split. There are lots of people with slingshot fins out there that are not having any problems. To some the price is the main point. Better plastic than none. Hell they say plywood boards are better. Go figure that one......
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon May 23, 2005 5:34 am

knyfe wrote:Ollie, as Dewey already mentioned "the consumer decides". We both bought our Yargas last year and the were fine. But I just like to add here in the forum that there are other fins out there which are not in a shop as they wount make any money with them! Due to that, I as a consumer, just didnt had the choice. Therefore its interesting for the other users too.

Qualitywise I dont make me a big head. I can ride down ! 4 ! complete sets of fins for the same price like one set of G10s from a shop. May be you have an better access to the G10s then I do. Let me know, I am willing to change ;-))) but to be honest, they are really good for that price.

Dewey: No way a 1.5" long fin will vibrate at my speed! I am just a standard kiter / jumper, not a super racer. I remember bad fins from windsurfing which threw you out of your way just at the best speed. But they were way longer than the kite fins and mine normally in a bad shape. I think you were right, its a G10 roumor ;-)

Thnx for that great wind out there today, K
Absolutely, if they work, no worries! At one time I had a board with the plastic fins, and they got a bit dinged up on the edges from normal use and setting the board down, etc. You can't beat the price, though, the best I know of for G10 is $15 apiece from Jeff in Alameda, or bit less direct from Best, plus shipping.