Self Land with Recon

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
AlphaHelix
Self Land with Recon

Post by AlphaHelix » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:27 am

Hi. Just bought a 2004 CO2 with Recon and having a hard time figuring out how to self-land the thing. The recon does a great job of depowering, but once the back tips are pulled together how do you actually get to the kite. I've checked Cabrinhas website, no solutions. And the user's manual..yeah right. It doesn't even talk about self-landing.
If someone could lay it out step by step it would be a big help. If you include pictures, I'll post them online so others can get help too.
Thanxs,

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:58 am

AlphaH:
As you indicate, the Cabrinha RECON system is an awesome safety sytem, but it is not required to self land the kite. The kite can be landed without assistance like ALL other tube kites (although it is best to land with assistance).
Bring your kite to the edge of the wind window, bring your kite down slowly towards the ground along the edge of the window, just before the kite gets to the ground, do a "controlled crash" so the LE is down on the ground. Immediately yank on the upwind outside learder so the kite canopy is turned into the wind. Grab the upwind relaunch ball, unhook and let go of your bar and walk to the kite using a hand over hand motion on the upwind outside kite line.
If you activate the Cabrinha RECON safety, the kite will sloftly float downwind. When on the ground, or water, grab the upwind relaunch ball, unhook and let go of you bar. Continue to hold the outside line/relaunch ball for a moment as the kite "flags" and completely depowers. Then use the same hand over hand motion as described above to get to your kite.

Thanks for the tip

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:07 pm

Thanks for the tip,
I'll give it a try!
Later,