What's a good beginner kite???

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
What's a good beginner kite???

Post by Guest » Fri May 20, 2005 12:15 pm

Hi,
I'm looking to get into kiteboarding. Does anyone have any input on what I should get for a first kite (can't really afford 2 or 3) for a 5'7", 150# guy. Thanks.
I saw on a website that's selling a Naish X2 10m for a decent price. Anyone has any info on that kite?

David (another guest)

Post by David (another guest) » Fri May 20, 2005 3:31 pm

Hi, Guest. This is a recurring question here (Hmm, maybe a "sticky" topic, Ollie?) I recommend you do a couple of things:

1) Look around at the forum topics here. You'll see your question and others like it addressed several times. There's lots of good advice to be had; just browse around.

2) Absolutely, absolutely, ABSOLUTELY take a lesson! During this time, you will learn many things, including the combination of factors of skill, weight, and typical winds where you will be flying that will influence:

3) what rig to buy. This is a complicated affair, and does include the data you've provided, but also depends on the kind of winds you will be experiencing at your particular site. For instance, a 10m kite may not be enuough to get you planing on one day, but may be all the power you cna handle on another day in another place. (Hence, take a lesson near where you will kiteboard, and ask a lot of questions.)

cheers,

David

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Fri May 20, 2005 3:37 pm

The X2 is not a kite for a beginner. It's a high aspect with a lot of pull. Try to get a kite that's at least a 04 and mid aspect. It's much better to learn on. Try the Rage 2 it's got tons of range, and it's very beginner friendly.
Dewey

D
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by D » Fri May 20, 2005 4:33 pm

I'm also starting out and weigh 150 lbs. I bought a two year old 15M Slingshot Fuel, used it about five times in 10-15kts at Alameda. 10M sounds too small. The Fuel is easy to set up and is very strong. Best thing is to ask someone you know and trust.

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Fri May 20, 2005 6:35 pm

I've been kiting for less than a year. In my experience, you should definitely start with a used kite, '04 better but at least '03. You will need more than one unless you want to waste time standing at the beach staring at other people kite, and buying used makes this more affordable.

The other reason to buy used kites to start is the high likeliehood that you are going to destroy a kite during your learning curve. There are so many ways to damage a kite when you don't know what you are doing, and you will be getting yourself in situations where you have to choose between your own health and the health of your kite.

If you are going to buy anything new, buy a new bar. The new bars have lots more safety features. Windwing, Liquid Force and other companies sell their bars stand alone (some companies don't sell the bars unless you buy the kite). It's difficult to destroy a bar, although not so difficult to lose one.

Absolutely take lessons, for lots of reasons. But in taking the lessons, your instructor will give you lots of info about what size kites you need for the location, your weight, etc. If the kite you destroy while learning happens to be your instructors, well, you just saved a bundle of money on a kite by taking the lesson.

Paul