GUESS ill have to go kite

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Tue May 17, 2005 7:20 am

Alameda was a rush!
Like Ollie says get it while its hot and save the drive for summer time.
The Sherman Electric Fan will be turned on regularlly next month!

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Tue May 17, 2005 8:51 am

dewey wrote:Hey Paul

Yep I got to try the 8m. It was too gusty for me. I know I'm a wimp. It was like 15-30++ with holes everywhere. I was out for about 20 min. before giving up. Nobody was able to stay out long. Not a fun day at sherman. Maybe tomorrow will be more steady.

Dewey
I left at around 3:00. I thought it was a great Sherman day. I was out on my 12m for most of the day. The morning session was nice lit up 12m and the afternoon was a bit overpowered...perfect 10m. I don't remember a whole lot of 30 mph gusts...did it go to hell after I left?

You guys need to remember, last year was a once in a decade kind of season...it's not allways like that.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Tue May 17, 2005 9:51 am

Alameda was good wind for sure. Looked like Maui for once. Why can't it be like this everyday!! I got to really see how much range my raven 12 has. Sure enough I was flying it comfortably yesterday while others were on 8's and 10's. Sunday I was flying it while others were on 14's and 16's. This is one amazing kite I must say. I think it has a lot to do with the shift system. You can ride super powered but then just let the bar out and there is little to no power even in yesterdays wind. My X3 never worked like this. Not trying to pimp on Naish. Just new hear stoke I guess!!

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Tue May 17, 2005 10:10 am

Gabe

I heard it was better in the morning. The winds really ramped up after you left. Almost everyone came in, everyone said it was too gusty. I'm not too good with the big gusts with big lulls together. Lets just hope for another year like last year. Weather is very weird this year. Maybe good winds will be around all year again. Or perhaps I'll need to learn to kite in gusty winds.
Dewey

Hana
Regular
Regular

Post by Hana » Tue May 17, 2005 10:59 am

It's amazing to see Alameda like that yesterday. It was gusty, not so much of trying new things but defensive riding (at least I felt that way) or I should say learning to kite in gusty winds. :-) I wish I was there earlier in the day though. Now I can appreciate a better wind, if today is a better wind. It was still FUN though.

Don
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Don » Tue May 17, 2005 4:27 pm

Uh huh. Last time I saw Alameda lit up for that long was after those two squalls in FEB pm. Arrived around 5. Pumped up the 12, then backed off to the 10, after Ollie's "...better hang on" and Al's "you're doing your 12?" Hey, if I weighed 200lbs... Anyways the smoother air was way outside, and those rollers! Yeah! Ramp after ramp.... Despite the two humongous bifs, it was for me an epic day, right on the heals of Saturday's massively powered session crissy to pt emerito. Nice to get in some serious air time with local friends :) Bob, thanks for the board recovery.

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Tue May 17, 2005 8:42 pm

Does anyone remember what the wind was like two years ago? I wasn't kiting yet.
However, it was a very wierd year, too. Skiing in dry powder well into May, and rain here until Memorial Day.
Last year was a wierd year, too, in it's own way. I've lived in the valley for eleven years now, and I don't remember a single year where the Delta Breeze cooled us down so regularly and the mercury stayed in such a pleasant range.
So like Gabe said, it was probably one in ten.

Paul

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Tue May 17, 2005 9:35 pm

Pablito(guest) wrote:Does anyone remember what the wind was like two years ago? I wasn't kiting yet.
However, it was a very wierd year, too. Skiing in dry powder well into May, and rain here until Memorial Day.
Last year was a wierd year, too, in it's own way. I've lived in the valley for eleven years now, and I don't remember a single year where the Delta Breeze cooled us down so regularly and the mercury stayed in such a pleasant range.
So like Gabe said, it was probably one in ten.

Paul
Two years ago was a more typical year in the delta. Windy almost every day from beginning of June half way through august with 2 to 3 hour midday lulls. April, May and late Aug/sept have their days, it's just not every day.

With the new light wind machines out there, the midday lulls may not last quite so long.
Gabe Brown

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Wed May 18, 2005 8:36 pm

Gabe what kind of light wind kite are you flying now days???
Dewey

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Thu May 19, 2005 7:51 am

dewey wrote:Gabe what kind of light wind kite are you flying now days???
RRD ZH 13m is my big kite right now.
Gabe Brown