July snowkiting in the Sierra?

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
Cubensis
Joey
Joey
July snowkiting in the Sierra?

Post by Cubensis » Sun May 08, 2005 2:46 pm

Anyone know the chances of snowkiting along Highway 431 (north of Incline Village) or Highway 120 in the Tuolumne Meadows (Yosemite NP) in July? Both roadways climbed to over 8,000-9,000 ft. in elevation so i would assumed the snowfield there will likely melt a little later in the year. Thanks for any input.

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Sun May 08, 2005 2:55 pm

Monitor Pass, West of Carson and Sonora pass should both open in the next couple weeks and should have snow for at least a month. Both spots rip!
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Mon May 09, 2005 2:55 am

So who is going? Convoy? :)

Cubensis
Joey
Joey

Post by Cubensis » Mon May 09, 2005 9:15 pm

What's up boys thanks for the info. When is Monitor Pass going to open for traffic? Looking at a 7.5 minute topo map of the area i noticed a gradual slope going up Mt. Leviathan NE of the pass, anyone ever try ascending that area? I was wondering what the wind condition will be like up there in early summer on a 7 meter Ozone Razor.

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Tue May 10, 2005 6:23 am

There won't be much snow up there early summer. They don't usually open the pass until there is only about a week of rideable snow left up there...Sonora will have snow for longer.
Gabe Brown

Cubensis
Joey
Joey

Post by Cubensis » Wed May 11, 2005 11:14 pm

What's up Gabe, as you stated, being the highest road pass in the Eastern Sierra, Sonora Pass seems to be the logical choice. It look like there is a sizable meadow just immediately below the pass on its eastern flank (Sardine Meadow) on the south side of Highway 108, is this the area you are referring to?

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Thu May 12, 2005 7:05 am

Cubensis wrote:What's up Gabe, as you stated, being the highest road pass in the Eastern Sierra, Sonora Pass seems to be the logical choice. It look like there is a sizable meadow just immediately below the pass on its eastern flank (Sardine Meadow) on the south side of Highway 108, is this the area you are referring to?
I have friends that hit Virginia lakes on this last storm and said it was really good kiting. That is just pass the sonora pass road and on the way to Mammoth. I don't have any particualr spot in mind for Sonora pass. I just know that it is high and above tree line with plenty of open space. When it opens, I will likely go hit it.
Gabe Brown

Post by Guest » Fri May 13, 2005 3:16 am

When you guys hit it post domething so we can share fuel and ride with someone around.

Cubensis
Joey
Joey

Post by Cubensis » Sat May 14, 2005 12:54 am

My schedule will only allow me to go around the first week of July (3 days) so snow or no snow i'll be up there with my Ozone Razor, Boom Vector and fishing pole (just in case). So if the snow linger let's get some crowd up there, it'll be fun.