Alameda Beach

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Paulw
Alameda Beach

Post by Paulw » Fri May 13, 2005 12:09 pm

I'm from out of town and planning to go to Alameda beach tomorrow if the winds are good.

What time do the winds usually pick up at Alameda beach?

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Fri May 13, 2005 1:16 pm

It depends on the wind pattern. This week it looks like around 2pm has been the call but you can get there as early as 12pm and have lunch. Sometimes we end up having no wind at all or light wind but it is still fun to be in the sun.

New Papa

Wind on Saturday

Post by New Papa » Fri May 13, 2005 3:16 pm

Hello Paul,

I wouild not "WAIT" for wind @ Alameda....it's not looking too promising. If you skill level is past beginner - you can stay upwind and not use a "gash inducing weapon", I mean board leash, check out Sherman and or 3rd.

Good winds, Zeev.

Cubensis
Joey
Joey

Post by Cubensis » Sat May 14, 2005 1:06 am

Be there no later than 3 p.m. and if it's a good day you'll be on the water until sunset. For real-time wind cam and wind reading check out:

http://www.kitewindsurf.com/store/windcam.aspx
http://www.onshakyground.com/weather/KCAALAME1.gif

jatkinson
Joey
Joey

Post by jatkinson » Sat May 14, 2005 11:55 am

I am also heading to the bay area next weekend, and am hoping to kite. Alameda sounds like the most user friendly site, but also the least likely to get wind (is this accurate?).

Is 3rd ave and sherman as scary as it sounds? I stay upwind with no problem most of the time, but never really feel all that comfortable with out a downwind bail out spot.

Cheers,
JJ

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sat May 14, 2005 12:23 pm

Sherman isn't that bad. The launch is a bit sketchy, and there are a couple of down wind bail outs, but get a local to show you first. It's a very casual scene at sherman.
Dewey