Question for Zeev?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
pipedragon
Regular
Regular
Question for Zeev?

Post by pipedragon » Thu May 12, 2005 4:44 pm

Which board and size do you use in the waves since your our resident wave expert? I am thinking of selling off all my old boards and getting a wave board to complete my quiver but can't decide on the Naish Ailen, the 5.5 surf board or the firebird or suggestions? That new surfboard looks pretty sick. The Thorn just does not work that great in waves. Killer board otherwise. :?:

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Thu May 12, 2005 6:00 pm

He's got a bad-ass new Amundson Custom directional dedicated waveboard. I can attest to it's usefulness since I've seen him ride it in the waves at Waddell-- roars upwind and bottom turns unlike anything else. He'll give you the specs I'm sure-- after the baby gets to sleep!

:yawinkle:
Go bigga'

Wave lover

Wave boards

Post by Wave lover » Thu May 12, 2005 9:40 pm

Good question Ryan....btw, sorry about swooping my kite so close to you @ alameda on Tuesday. You ducked to avoid it ;-)

Riding in the waves has two different schools of thought:
1. Powered up all the time
2. Power only when needed, and more surfy.

Most of the progressive kiteSURFERS are into the second style. Since I did not come from wakeboarding backround, I came from windsurfing, the second has always been my thing.

In that type of wave kiting, getting upwind is key, as you want to be well lined up for the right part of the wave. On wave performance is next most important element: needs to hold a strong bottom turn, snap off the lip, track well and feel like a surfboard when you shut off the power of the kite.

Having ridden a twin tip, followed by a mutuant (Firebird 140), followed by a 5'2" custom wave board from John Amundson, I think that NOTHING Comes close to the directional. I could spend much time explaining why, but I'm really sleepy, and it's best done on a beach over a cold beer anyway.

If you are getting a full on dedicated board for the waves, go for the diectional board. I saw the Naish board @ stinson the other day: solid board, a bit more heavy then a custom, and not as clean of a shape. Still killer. If you are not 100% sure you are cool w/the jibing thing, which by the way took me about 6 sessions to figure out, then go for a large mutant....I still love my firebird for riding freestyle: once you get used to the bite and fin power, you can't go back to twin tips and be happy....... Size helps when you kill power of the kite, deal w/white water, have marginal wind in the impact zone: all of which happens even on the N. CA coast.

I have the John Amundson board. Check it out sometime @ the beach: it's super sick. Some of the best workmanship I have ever seen. He is a guy who deserves the reputation he has developed: he has nailed a great shape and builds them bomber. WHen I first rode the board, I went w/1 kite size smaller then in the past. Now that I know how the board handles, I ride normal size kite and can smoke upwind faster then EVER in my windsport life. It's totally sublime on a face of a wave. It's great in the air. It's great in big surf and small junky shit @ Ocean beach. It just rocks. For a big person, over 200#, this is the ULTIMATE Wave board.

Do a seach on ikitesurf and kiteforum. Lots of feedback on this board.

Good winds + waves, Zeev.

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Re: Wave boards

Post by pipedragon » Fri May 13, 2005 1:24 pm

Wave lover wrote:Good question Ryan....btw, sorry about swooping my kite so close to you @ alameda on Tuesday. You ducked to avoid it ;-)
No problem man. I think you yelled and saved me from a kitemare later that day anyway when my kite droped and I almost got dragged.

I will have to check out your board since I have bought so many boards before trying and they were not right. I think I have seen you on this new custom board already and it looks sick. I am heavier as well so it should be a good fit. I'll look for you this weekend. May head to Waddell Saturday but on the Thorn this time. Thanx for the good info!! =D>