Places to stay in La Ventana

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
couzteau
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Places to stay in La Ventana

Post by couzteau » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:41 pm

Hi,
I'll be heading down to La Ventana over xmas and new years.
Anyone have suggestions for places to stay in La Ventana. Looking for basic inexpensive accomodation.

Thanks.

Jacques

gnukid
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Places to stay in La Ventana

Post by gnukid » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:01 am

Jacques Cousteau is persona non-grata here right now due to some political island renaming scam in his honor. I would drop that moniker fast or you will likely be strung up like a goat.

There are many places to stay that are affordable, you can camp almost anywhere on the beach for free or in a campground for under $10/day. You can rent rooms at many locations on arrival or go to the major hotels and pay $100+/day. I would highly suggest the main campground in a small tent and sleeping bag, there is wifi and restaurants there. Also check vrbo.net for homes to rent.

If you want to stay with a a big group of kite kooks in a crowded space you'll find it. People from LA seem to like it there.

couzteau
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by couzteau » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:32 am

Thanks for zthe info gnukid, just searched the web for the story, in fact I found this: http://www.mexidata.info/id2477.html hmm, Interesting read. Good to know.

gnukid
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by gnukid » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:43 am

Hey this great house is still available in La Ventana for Race week.

http://www.vrbo.com/195778

yatway
Contributor
Contributor

Post by yatway » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:14 pm

DownwinderInn just opened last year. My wife and I own it and would love to have you come visit. We offer the best deal in baja, $65/night. Hot showers in each room, new pillow top beds, and if you want to do a downwinder from the north beach we will drop off and pick you and guests up.
www.downwinderinn.com

Wayde

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:29 pm

Looks like a nice place, cool outdoor kitchen and not too big so it's probably pretty quiet.

Just so guys know in case you're able to plan a trip down:

"DownWinderInn will not tolerate and can refuse services, refuse accommodations, or remove a person from our business who:

* Refuses to or is unable to pay for the accommodation or services at time of check-in
*Cannot control themselves due to obvious intoxicated or a disorderly manner while on hotel property
* Destroys or threatens to destroy hotel property, or causes a public disturbance
* Negligently or intentionally causes damage to the hotel or a furniture or furnishings within the hotel, shall be liable for damages sustained including the Inns' loss of revenue resulting from the inability to rent or lease rooms while the damage is being repaired."

Does this happen at any of the inns there? If someone violated all the rules with the exception of #1, they'd be called a rock star (at least once upon a time), haha... ;) I do remember not being able to get to sleep until late because of a bunch of Seattle "rowdies", though...

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:57 pm

Couldn't be the American kiteboarders who did that. Must have been the Dutch ones :mrgreen:
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

underthebridge
Contributor
Contributor

Post by underthebridge » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:32 pm

Just got back from there a few weeks ago - stayed at http://www.bajmahal.com

It is a bit pricey $100 night (you can put two to a room) but the place is super nice, internet, and hippy Dave who runs the place is a cool cat. You can always camp too for the cheap option. And in between - hippy Dave has teepees (yes in Baja) that are $50 a night and you hear water lapping from inside the teepee. The place is sweet, check the pics on the site.

And the food in La Ventana - so good - even in California you can't get Mexican food like that - the fisherman come in when the wind starts to blow and you eat the fish they caught after your shower at dusk. La V is a winner.