Rage II or Boxer or Diesel

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
rss
Joey
Joey
Rage II or Boxer or Diesel

Post by rss » Tue May 10, 2005 6:30 pm

Hi,

I am looking at entry level kites. It seems from reading that the Rage II, Boxer, and Diesel get a lot of praise for their 'stability', depowering, relaunching and safety--for some unexplicable reasons I have been attracted to these but would like to make a more informed decision.

I feel a bit frozen as to which family to make my first commitment. My goal is progression to freeriding and upwind performance.

I would be very grateful for insights and experience with these kites--especially from those who have tried each and remember the keys to their early successes.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Richard

Fester
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Fester » Tue May 10, 2005 7:11 pm

I recommend the Boxer.

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Tue May 10, 2005 7:25 pm

id go with the rage II.
charlie

jowall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jowall » Tue May 10, 2005 8:32 pm

I'm a beginner and started learning on '02 kites. I also had a WW trainer kite and loved the thing. This season I bought a quiver of Rage IIs. I find them very forgiving and predictable. One day I was tired out so I literally put the kite at neutral, let go of the bar and backstroked upwind to my board.

It's a bit of a hassle to install & tune the safe bridles but worth the effort for performance. It's such a simple and efficient idea.

I don't care much about brands. I just found this gear to have a good quality/cost ratio. I hope to get 2 seasons out of them and then move on.

Oh yeah and thanks to Charlie for the tips on the beach last week.

-John

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue May 10, 2005 8:39 pm

Rss,

I have no experience with either the Boxer or Diesel so can't comment on those as far as any comparison. Despite the fact that I'm supported by Windwing, I have given them my money for kites and gladly. The Rage II's are simply put, very sweet. The are smooth, predictable, turn quite fast, generate good power all around and jump pretty darn good considering their design as a mid-aspect kite. They are ideal for all-around riding, freestlye and waves and the nice thing about them is that they're not geared as an entry-level kite, and won't be something that you may outgrow as your skills progress. The quality/performance/price ratio is favorable.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Tue May 10, 2005 10:12 pm

I just got the safe bridle to work on my 17m outrage, so I'd go with the rage2. The safe system is designed to work with the rage 2's. I had so much depower today with the 17m. I was out on that kite while everyone else was out on their 12's. These kites have mad range!!!

The rage 2's are also very forgiving, and fly well. Everything you could want in a kite......plus extra safty!!!
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed May 11, 2005 6:06 am

Dewey,

What did you do to dial the SAFE bridles in?

new dad

which kite

Post by new dad » Wed May 11, 2005 9:45 am

All 3 are great kites. Go with the one that:
1. You can get the best deal on
2. Is sold by a local shop that will provide you with good service.

Good winds, Zeev.

Hana
Regular
Regular

Post by Hana » Wed May 11, 2005 10:30 am

I cannot make any comparison with other kites, but Boxer has given me a wonderful kiting experience so far. Good relauncheability (even with 16m easy, if it's windy enough). Good luck!

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Wed May 11, 2005 2:35 pm

Dewey,

What did you do to dial the SAFE bridles in?
Nothing, I still can't get the 12m to engage. It's the 17m that works well. Maybe the 12m flys too far foward in the window.
Dewey