Your Fall/Winter Kiteboarding Destinations

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
kitedancer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Your Fall/Winter Kiteboarding Destinations

Post by kitedancer » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:52 am

We are in Hatteras (Waves) until December 20th. Life is good!

Ciao,
Lisa
F-One BANDIT 5M 7M 9M
Naish Alana TT

baypirate
Regular
Regular

Post by baypirate » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:16 am

Sonny wrote:I booked my flight to La Paz 1/13 - 1/25.
Hmm, looked around the days of the Classic (/MLK Holiday):

Direct (3h) flight to Cabos: $297
Layover (6.5h) flight to La Paz: $704
Not driving Baja - priceless (or at least $400) ?

Oh, and it doesn't look like the hours would let you kite on either travel day, even on the direct flight.

kitesurgeon
Joey
Joey

Post by kitesurgeon » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:29 pm

repost from a month ago:

I've scheduled october 9-16 off with Hatteras as the target destination. Plan is to fly into Norfolk, drive to hatteras, rent a beach house, and kite as much as possible (weather permitting). We'll have two cars so we can do downwinders. We have a sweet house in waves and still have 1 room free. see link for details regarding house. email or leave a reply if interested participating.

http://www.surforsound.com/properties/property/417

Bob

jsimon
Joey
Joey

Post by jsimon » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:55 am

Brazil November 20 -30th, Maui December 30 -January 11, Baja sometime in February, would love to connect with people who will be in Jeri November 21-24th

airess
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by airess » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:59 pm

Mauli and Me are going to La Ventana. we are driving down Nov !st thru mid-Dec.
hope to see some of you there. rita :happy-bouncymagenta: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncycyan: :happy-bouncygreen: :happy-bouncymulticolor: :happy-bouncyred: :happy-bouncyredfire: :happy-bouncyshadowgreen:

El Nino beware :character-jaws: :violence-rocket:

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:51 pm

Sherman nov 22, dillon dec 24, gazos jan 4 :character-beavisbutthead:
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

kitedancer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitedancer » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:55 pm

kitedancer wrote:We are in Hatteras (Waves) until December 20th. Life is good!

Ciao,
Lisa
It will be nice seeing bay area kiters down in Hatteras!
F-One BANDIT 5M 7M 9M
Naish Alana TT

eaddic
Contributor
Contributor

Post by eaddic » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:12 pm

Going to Cozumel 11/19 - 11/28, anyone else from the Bay Area going?

kitedavis
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kitedavis » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:34 pm

Just got back from Vietnam. We had a great time - although we were at the end of the wet season and the very beginning of the dry/windy season, we still kited 6 of 7 days that we were at Mui Ne, on mostly 10 and 12m kites. Sightseeing in the morning and kiting in the afternoon when the winds came up worked out great.

Of the kite spots we have traveled to, this is one of the most interesting as far as non-kiting activities. The language, people and culture, food, and scenery are all fascinating. Mui Ne has everything from backpacker guest houses to very nice beachfront hotels. A huge array of restaurants from budget to gourmet. Overall, a great value - this is one of those places where the dollar still goes a long way - dinner routinely under $15 for two. Saigon brand beer in a 1/2 liter bottle for about $.65 in restaurants.

We stayed at the Sunny Beach Resort, which is a few hundred meters from the Windchimes kite center where Trang, a 3rd Avenue regular runs one of the most well-known operations on the bay. Sunny Beach has beach front bungalows that sit no more than about 20 feet from the sand. The C2Sky kite center is located on the beach in front of the hotel.

Also, let me make a plug for Northwest Airlines - we checked two bags each, including the NSI golf bag - FREE of charge both ways, not even the normal checked baggage fees that are prevalent in the air industry now! Service on the transpacific flight leg in particular was great - even in the coach section.

We met a really nice local guy named Xuyen who took us on a tour to see the giant "sleeping buddha" statue on Takhou Mountain. He also set up a private car ride for our return from Mui Ne to Ho Chi Minh City. Very reasonable prices and because he speaks English well, he was a great source of information about the local area and the Vietnamese way of life. If anybody is traveling there and wants his contact information, shoot me a message.
491 small.jpg
Mui Ne

robotvox
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by robotvox » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:33 am

I just got back from my first trip to Maui, and I could not have been luckier. A beautiful kiter's paradise, and it was windy eleven out of the eleven days I was there! Although it was rare to catch a perfect NE trade wind, usually more a matter of switching back and forth between North and East but still totally kitable, usually 7m weather and an occasional 9. I was afraid of a major skunking, because I was trying to time my trip to catch some good waves, which is exactly when the wind season starts getting a little spotty, but it was nothing but wind and waves. Aloha!

oh yeah, I also got to meet Lou Wainman. Nice guy, very humble considering his status as a pioneer.