Bahamas versus Tulum in late December

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
erikabike
Contributor
Contributor
Bahamas versus Tulum in late December

Post by erikabike » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:21 pm

Hi Ya'all!

I'm planning a kiting (and other stuff) trip for late December and early January. What do you think would be better. We are strong beginners, learning to kite upwind and plan to take several days worth of lessons/supervised practice. I've never been to Bahamas, but it is obviously spendy. I've been to Tulum, but I am not sure about the quality of the kiting or lessons.

Leaning towards Bahamas because we have never been there. Any tips on reasonable kite schools? Kite Exuma is very expensive. What is the best island to hang on there? Any lodging tips???

Thanks a million!!!! Erika :auto-dirtbike: :auto-dirtbike: :auto-dirtbike:

Greg
Old School
Old School

Re: Bahamas versus Tulum in late December

Post by Greg » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:10 pm

Miss LoveJoy-
How are you??
I've spent many a day in the Bahamas, and 10 days the Mayan Reveria.. Both are nice-
But my suggestion is to go to La Ventanna Mex..
A true "kiters vacation" awaits you,
L.M.G.

erikabike
Contributor
Contributor

Post by erikabike » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:54 am

Hey LMG! No thumbs up for Bahamas? hmmm...Have you been to Exuma? Or, where else is good? Know anyone teaching there? Yeah I thought about La Ventana and am still thinking about it. But, yes, BUT I am not 100% sure I will be able to kite because I've had some back trouble again :( However the BF wants to kite and I'd like to have the option, but just in case....I want to go somewhere where I can do other stuff. That's also nice in case you get skunked by the wind (he got skunked last year at LV and ended up wakeboarding!). Besides that, we've got 10 days.... Plane tix to Bahamas only $550 total! Way cheaper than anywhere. Are there other things to in La Ventana (besides drink yourself silly)? I've read something about mountain biking, but I wonder if that's b.s. Riding on dirts roads with speeding mexicans and clouds of dust isn't exactly what I'd be looking for. ; ) I know -- spoiled!!! But if there were actually some cool trails, I could swing it and maybe jump in a kayak, cook fish on the grill and the like.

Just to make things a little more complicated, Belize is also on the potential list. :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= Hope you are well G-man!

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:50 pm

go to Exuma, it's very nice..
plunty to do- potential wind/surf, lots of walking on the beach. rental biking, sport fishing, swimming , snorkel/dive......
Enjoy-
L.M.G.

My adventure will be in Mexico.

couzteau
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by couzteau » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:28 pm

Tulum is beautiful, but may be not the best spot to learn. WInds are usually light and often straight on shore, with pretty big chop. I met the guys from extremecontrol kiteboarding, the local kiteboarding school ( http://www.kiteboardingholidays.com/ ), I thought they were pretty expensive, thought they take too much advantage of their monopoly on kiteboarding in Tulum. The board rentals were ridiculously expensive.

Going to Ventana this winter.