kite size question...yet again...

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
kite size question...yet again...

Post by panzerfaust » Thu May 05, 2005 6:57 pm

so I'm a begginer and I have a really old Naish Aero 12m that I'm learning on and it's great but the gummi bar ends are all wripped up and now I need to replace another piece that controls depower (that I already replaced once). I really have no issues with the kite other than the bar but with money in hand and an itchy trigger finger I'm seriously thinking of buying another kite, namely the WW Rage 2. My dillema is whether I should replace the Naish (sizewise) or go with a larger WW since I'll be kiting in Alameda most of the year and another size will definitely come handy. However, since my Alameda experience so far has been in low winds where the Naish barely flies and I feel like I've been lifting 50lb bags of potatos after an hour session, I'm considering a larger kite which may altogether be a bad idea since I don't really know how Alameda is during the rest of the season.

I would really appreciate some input on the size considerations for alameda and possibly the rest of the local spots (I do understand the need for at least three kites but as all of us do, I'm sure, I'd like to spend the least amount possible for the first shot and I don't want to get another old kite).

feixaq
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by feixaq » Thu May 05, 2005 7:15 pm

In the late spring and most of summer, Alameda has pretty light winds (9-15mph usually, and doesn't often go beyond 20). I rode a 16 most of the time last season at Alameda (on a 132x38 board) and I weigh ~155lbs. Otherwise, I'm usually on a 12 at Crissy, 3rd, and Sherman.

If you are looking into buying a WW Rage II 17, I have a friend who is interested in purchasing a WW Rage II 14, so you might be able to jointly take advantage of the Buy-1-Get-? free discount and split the cost savings pro rata. Let me know...

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Sat May 07, 2005 2:56 pm

hey, thanks for the response, I've decided to actually buy two kites and replace the 12 and buy a 17 from WW.