Best Hellfish

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sat May 07, 2005 8:08 am

pipedragon wrote:
RobsterCraw wrote:that material + single point inflation + backwards relaunch = one bad ass kite lets hope someone puts it all together.
They are already working on it. It is called the Raven 2 and Torch 2. That would be my guess
Which is your guess? That they are already working on it or that they will be called that? Best has 3-year exclusive rights to use the new kiting variation of the fabric, so the only way you'll see it on a Naish in the next 3 years is if Best let's them use it. Robbie might need to send Shannon some flowers or something.... #-o

wilzone
Contributor
Contributor

All that glitters is not gold

Post by wilzone » Sat May 07, 2005 8:38 am

From my information, the Cuben fiber material has been around for over 10 years. It was introduced for yacht sails but never caught on. It is cool stuff but has a lot of problems. It is about twice as low stretch as dacron but shrinks when stressed and unloaded, cannot be produced in large quantities, does not like being creased and is expensive. I think Best has made a mistake by doing this -- they had a company based on a no-frills product (that actually worked) for a very low price, this is a pretty exotic departure. They have added nothing in terms of control and safety, it's a kite that (if you believe the claims at least halfway) increases performance somewhat, and looks really cool. No added safety (de-power), or control, which is what I think people want, especially people who want to kite and make it home to the family later on. At the same time they are asking people to order a kite they will not get for 6 weeks minimum, possibly 6 months. In the mean time there will be slim to none consumer reviews of the product, so it will be the end of summer before anyone really knows whether this kite is really any better than anything else. I have to say that I don't understand the marketing strategy here, but maybe there's a "master plan" that I don't see. I'm glad we have a kite already out there that's in the hands of people who are already appreciating it for what it is. And don't worry -- we're not sitting still in R&D either, there are a few really cool new ideas we are testing right now, including some new materials we think have more potential than CF.

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Sat May 07, 2005 9:25 am

wilzone:
I think the marketing strategy of best is clear from the very begining: JUST BE LOUD!!!

But you are right. it will take us all summer long to find out the truth of this kite, K

jrg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jrg » Sat May 07, 2005 12:17 pm

Anyone remember Oceanic windsurfing sails?
Cool new material, lighter, stonger, yada yada
A friend bought one - not a bad sail but the clew pulled out and it was a real pain to fix.

Im guessing they havent done a lot of real world testing on the HellFish and there could be some unforseen problems. For example, the upper launch at 3rd is tough on leading edges (shells embedded in hard mud). Ill wait and let others spend $1500 to be Best beta testers....

Not to mention the hype is over the top and getting on my nerves. Wild claims and no independant reviews.....

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Sat May 07, 2005 1:24 pm

jrg wrote:Anyone remember Oceanic windsurfing sails?
Cool new material, lighter, stonger, yada yada
A friend bought one - not a bad sail but the clew pulled out and it was a real pain to fix.

Im guessing they havent done a lot of real world testing on the HellFish and there could be some unforseen problems. For example, the upper launch at 3rd is tough on leading edges (shells embedded in hard mud). Ill wait and let others spend $1500 to be Best beta testers....

Not to mention the hype is over the top and getting on my nerves. Wild claims and no independant reviews.....
There is an audio interview on kitemare.com from Safety Rick. I think he flys Best kites, but doesn't seem to get involved on the best fan boy/basher threads on kiteforum.

http://www.kitemare.com/Best%20Kites%20Hellfish.htm

consumer
Regular
Regular

Post by consumer » Sat May 07, 2005 5:26 pm

have you guys seen the NEW video of the hellfish(2nd video) it seems like they fastforwarded the parts where they focus on the kite only. Then they show ONE shot where a kites doing a kiteloop that also looks fastforwarded, what the hell? I was wayyyyy excited about all this, and then i see some bullshit fastforwarding? I hope im just imagining things. Seriously, because that is a very big letdown, i had gotten my hopes up for nothing?

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sat May 07, 2005 5:36 pm

It's all hype. How will you fix the canopy?? How long will it last?? I'll wait to see. My outrages are light enough for me to kite with, and they are plenty fast already. 06's will be even better!!!
Dewey