Kite for a beginner (RRD, WW...)?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Kite for a beginner (RRD, WW...)?

Post by Guest » Tue May 03, 2005 11:48 pm

I am just starting, and have an 11M kite. I want to get something bigger for lighter wind days, something like 15. Weight 75KG. I also don't have much to spend, so I consider used kites as well. So far this is what I fished from reading on the web:

2004/2005 WW Rage II 14 with Safe (same kite?)
2004/2005 RRD type 6 15
2004 SlingShot Fuel 15

There seems to be a consensus about these kites. There are other options I am sure. I think these fit the price/size with good deals on the 2004 kites. It also seems the WW and RRD have good wind range comparing to other kites.

What do you think about these? I saw a lot of comments on the RRD and WW on this forum. I will be using the kites in Alameda.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed May 04, 2005 6:54 am

You can't go wrong with either the RageII 14 or the Type 6 15, they're both solid. Windwing still has a nice promotion, so you can save some money there and the SAFE system offers great range and depower.

Love to save $

A larger kite

Post by Love to save $ » Wed May 04, 2005 7:45 am

As a beginner, I would look at used kites. There are MANY good 2004 used kites for sale in the $400 range. The WW and RRD kites are very good. Any other major brand is good for you at this point in your kite career.

Just stay away from high aspect kites. =D>

Good winds, Zeev. =D>

whitecap
Regular
Regular

Post by whitecap » Wed May 04, 2005 9:21 am

just so happens I have a type 6 15 for sale....and it is a very nice kite. Predictable, good pop, nice depower. Fast turning for a 15, although not as quick as a 12...

for more power, I have 27 meter lines on the bar that I took from a caution kite I bought last year, and then sold without the bar. The stock bar has 25 meter lines, which makes the kite a bit quicker, but not quite as much juice in lighter breeze. One nice thing about the 15 is that the zipper really works well. If the wind is up, unzip, and the kite will handle bigger gusts really well. A bonus is that the kite will also turn a bit quicker, and boost huge! ( yeah, I am a bit biased...and have not tried the ww)

Bob

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Wed May 04, 2005 5:36 pm

Buy Bob's kite. It is excellent. I owned one. The fact that it is one of the fastest "big kites" I've ridden is a good thing when it's your light-wind weapon. It generates a lot of apparent wind when you sling it around because of it's speed and that's good for light conditions. I do not recommend this kite if you're going to be riding it really lit and commonly overpowered on it. For that, you should consider the Z/ZH Type.

(Standard "Ollie Disclaimer" Applies)

:rock:
Go bigga'

Post by Guest » Wed May 04, 2005 7:26 pm

Does the other kites mentioned have depower and safety close to the WW, or is it in a league of its own? Is that a factor to consider, or just a nice to have?

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed May 04, 2005 8:35 pm

In the Windwing line, the Rage II and Rapture offer massive depower while still being kites that will fit the bill for all kiting conditions. They'll do what you want them to do in a variety of conditions, which is one of the features that makes them attractive; they're versatile and smooth. The Outrage is a bit different as it's not been designed specifically for the SAFE system, but does benefit from it to a small degree, it's really more of a high-aspect, heavy-handed beast of a kite, which i personally kind of like. Complete details on the WW models at www.windexpress.com.

Another kite that does have quite a bit of depower and range is the RRD Type Wave, which has been specifically designed for wave riding and will excel in that department, but won't give you the all-around versatility and may actually turn too fast for some. Compared to the WW kites, square meter to square meter, you won't find as much power or as much air with the Type Wave, but it wasn't designed for that so much as for being a specialized wave kite.

Hope this helps,
Ollie

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Wed May 04, 2005 10:45 pm

may actually turn too fast for some.

May turn too fast Ollie??? That kite turns faster than anything I've seen. It's not for newbies, hell I'm scared of it. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Dewey