Rage II stupid question

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Pablito(guest)
Rage II stupid question

Post by Pablito(guest) » Sun May 01, 2005 12:36 pm

Flying my Rage II 14m at Sherman yesterday, I got the first chance to try out the Jumpstart relaunch. "Just pull on the back lines" they say.

My kite dropped in a lull when I was in the Dead Zone by the Playpen. (It was 5:30 and very holey). It fell directly downwind of me, and hit the water leading edge down. It was immediately full of air, and because I was standing on the slippery mud (low tide) it was pulling me steadily but slowly to the beach. I couldn't get enough of a grip in the mud to get to one side or the other, but I was trying to pull on the rear lines to activate the Jumpstart. no luck. A windsurfer grabbed the kite and relaunched me.

My question is, what is the technique for "pulling on the rear lines". Does the kite have to be depowered enough so that the front lines are slack; because in this case, with the kite directly downwind, there was no way to do that. Do you actually grab your lines -- something I would always consider unsafe -- and pull? What's the trick?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Paul

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun May 01, 2005 4:15 pm

Paul,

I haven't yet used any of the kites with the JumpStart bridles, but I'm sure they would be able to answer your questions at the WW forum, which you can find here:

http://www.windwing.com/forum/

I believe you grab one or both of the rear lines and pull in a bit. The rear lines are covered with a thick, protective clear outer sheathing for safety.

Cheers,
Ollie

Pablito(Guest)

Post by Pablito(Guest) » Sun May 01, 2005 5:36 pm

Thanks for the link, Ollie.

Paul

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sun May 01, 2005 5:46 pm

Pull the rear lines. That will make the trailing edge of your kite smaller to hold the wind, and up goes your kite. I was watching flash and Bob play with the kites at Pismo. You could also grab the lines while the kite is in the air and it will fly backwards. Kind of cool!!
Dewey

Bullroarer Took
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bullroarer Took » Mon May 02, 2005 9:34 am

You pull in on one or both of the rear lines. You'll need to pull in a lot, so reach as far forward as you can. Also, imo, it really helps to have the leading edge bladder pumped hard. (Windwings were designed for this.) It has never failed on my Outrage.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Mon May 02, 2005 12:16 pm

You have the jumpstart on the outrage?? How does it effect turning speed???
Dewey

Bullroarer Took
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bullroarer Took » Mon May 02, 2005 1:21 pm

I have never taken the Jumpstart off, so I can't truthfully answer. I don't feel that the Outrage has a particularly fast turing speed however, but it does pull nicely while turning. My experience with other kites is limited though. Also, if it matters, I don't have the extra turn on the back line through the ring. My kite came JS pre-setup and the extra loop wasn't there. Boarding Bob says he prefers the extra loop because it gives the kite more of a 'hard-lined' feel. I'm leaving things as they are for now.

2004 Outrage 14

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Mon May 02, 2005 10:01 pm

See, that's what I was wondering -- how much line and how hard to pull. I'll give it a try next time my kite takes a dump. Then again, my SAFE bridle just came, and I might try that instead... I guess if you want to use them both, you have to get a Rapture.

Paul

John B

Reverse launch (jumpstart bridle)

Post by John B » Wed May 04, 2005 4:20 pm

Paul,

I usually reply on the Windwing forum, but to answer your question (jumpstart bridle) try to grasp both rear lines together with one hand as far as you can comfortable extend your arms. Keep the other hand on the bar (to reduce any potential tangles) and for steering control once the kite redirects.

What happens when you pull the rear lines together is that the trailing edge crinkles and forms a reverse draft which causes the kite to hover up backwards. Once air borne the kite has a tendency to turn over or redirect itself. At this point you will have to be prepared to steer your kite up and towards the edge of the wind window with both hands on the bar. You will want to sheet the kite out or push the bar away to ease the power load of the kite.

Keeping your feet in your straps on the board helps provide resistance which makes this process easy to accomplish.

PS- Yes the Rapture is the only kite that allows SAFE and reverse launch in a fixed attachment.

Hope this helps,
JB
WW R&D

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Wed May 04, 2005 6:14 pm

John,
Thanks for the response. I have trailing edge bridles on two of my other kites that I use in the snow, so I'm familiar with the general idea. It's that "be prepared to steer the kite with both hands" part that's a little tricky. In my experience, this function would be greatly facilitated with a third hand.

Paul