Question about setting up your own lines.

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Question about setting up your own lines.

Post by bdawg » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:13 pm

Hello everyone. I bought some used gear and the bar and lines that was included with my kite is not in a safe condition. So I am on the prowel for lines. I have seen you can buy a spool of Q lines and do the "work" yourself on building a set of 4 lines.

My question is how do you do this? Is it hard for someone who wasn't a boyscout? Is it something a beginner should be doing? Do I sew the ends like they are now? Can you give me some help?

thanks

Blair

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:56 am

Just buy the stuff, measure out a set of four by dividing one long piece equally in half, then half again. Tie the basic loop on the ends, no sewing required, so that you can make the lark's head knots you'll need. Hook them up to your leaders. Attach the kite-ends to a line around a tree and "stretch" them under load until you are satisfied that they are equal.

First time you use them, be sure to do an assisted launch and fly the kite a bit to be sure they are handling evenly. Tweak if necessary. Go big.
Go bigga'

liv2surf

Caution in tying your own lines

Post by liv2surf » Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:37 am

Caution: if your safety (depowering kite leash) goes through a restricted opening (like a small ring) be certain that any knots you tie in the line w/ safety EASILY and consistently go through the restricted opening. I almost set up a bar with Qline that would have had a non-functional depower (in my case my safety was on a center line and went through a small opening in a neoprene cover and then a rectangular metal "ring" (North Specter 2003 bar).

liv2surf