Alameda Hazard Photos

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Alameda Hazard Photos

Post by OliverG » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:04 pm

Photos showing the present hazards at Alameda have been posted appending the Alameda Guidelines section which can be found with all the location info and guidelines in the section "SF Bay Area Kiteboarding Locations & Guidelines" which can be found here.

The Alameda Guidelines and Hazard photos can be found here.

Check it out.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:34 pm

Thanks Bob, Sylvia, and Ollie, and anyone else I may have left out.

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:10 pm

Your welcome! Ollie has a real gift to the community here.

I hope the photos help to keep folk healthy.
Just don't kite between the two flags when the concrete post on the outside is showing ~ 4 inches - That is my go around depth. If I push that limit (raaarrrrreelllyyy) it is with a flat board, no edging at all.

And when it comes to riding Alameda the inner flag is (closest approach) a good distance to stay away from the beach.

Have Fun & Be Safe!

Broken Ankle

Stones in the water

Post by Broken Ankle » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:21 am

The Cabrhina flag is now an orange gas tank....No more pilings from the old tower: at least not visible in the last few days: are they gone??

bhsu24
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bhsu24 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:06 am

very nice pictures however it might be helpfull if an arial depiction of where these obsticals are located.
Bryan

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: Stones in the water

Post by OliverG » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:02 pm

Broken Ankle wrote:The Cabrhina flag is now an orange gas tank....No more pilings from the old tower: at least not visible in the last few days: are they gone??
The pilings are there, just takes a low tide to see them. If you're kiting, or worse, body dragging to get back to your board or after a wipeout, etc over them and they're just under the surface it could be a real problem. They're currently marked by a buoy or two, so you should be able to tell where they are.

The bouys marking the pilings are upwind and out from the shack.

The rockwall and old piling stumps run from the first marker straight out to the second marker which incicates the end of it. These are located just downwind of the shack with the first marker not far out from shore. Bob might know exactly how far, maybe he's measured it to determine two kite lengths. :P

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:20 am

Broken Ankle:
Believe me the old tower is gone in a November storm four years ago.
The BASE of the old tower is definitely there!!

It's what you don't see that you should really be worried about.
I always go downwind of the mark set by Charlie or at least two kite lengths upwind of it.
The reason Charlie set the bouy is because you can not see them most of the time.

Think of it as marking an unseen tiger pit full of pungi stakes ready to impale you and your kite!

The "gas can" is really an empty Tide Laundry Detergent container...somehow appropriate eh?

Actually I know it is two kite lines from the inner mark to the beach at high tide because when I was a newbie I hammer headed my kite into the water while standing there and was dragged rapidly the one remaining length onto the beach from there. Happened quick and the public was scattering rapidly before me! More distance from the shore is better still...

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:44 pm

The rest of Bob & Silvias photos showing Alameda Hazards have been posted in the Alameda Guidelines info page at https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/viewtopic.php?t=790

Thanks again for sending in the photos!

Coastal Guest

Arial shot

Post by Coastal Guest » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:51 am

Google has a good arial photo/mapping site:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.76770 ... &t=k&hl=en

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:09 pm

Excellent photo of the shoreline.
You can see the inner flag/water intake clearly in the photo.

The other hazards are not so visible but for the biginners it is easy to see MacDonald's!